VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheAlmightyGuru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm emulating Windows 3 in DOSBox and I've noticed that the color palette is washed out. Here is a side-by-side comparison of a screenshot I found online (left), and the colors I'm getting now (right). Notice the green background of Solitaire on the left is less-saturated. This is true for several other colors as well.

Windows3ColorProblem.png

I've tried switching the Windows display driver to plain VGA and VGA 3.0 and also setting DOSBox to vgaonly, but I still get these washed out colors.

Back in the early 1990s, I was using Windows 3.0, and I'm pretty confident it used the colors seen on the left. However, I'm now running Windows 3.11 For Workgroups in DOSBox, so maybe this is the correct color scheme and I just don't know it.

Either way, I would like to get the colors back to how I remember them. Any one know if it's possible? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's what it looks like for me. I'm using the S3 SVGA driver.

I've never seen washed out colors like that.

Screenshot_2019-10-30_10-24-03.png
Filename
Screenshot_2019-10-30_10-24-03.png
File size
27.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 9, by TheAlmightyGuru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the post keenmaster486. I don't remember ever seeing this either, I didn't even think it was possible to re-define the color palette in Windows 3!

Do you know which version of Windows you're using? Is it Windows 3.11 For Workgroups?

Reply 4 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The stock VGA driver's palette is generally brighter/less saturated than what you'd get on any other higher color depth driver. This is perfectly normal, real behavior and also is the same deal on any newer Windows (that maybe isn't 10).

Also, the oft-recommended S3 video driver (mostly recently popular for bringing DOSBox's S3 Trio HLE to work in Win3.1) takes creative liberties of its own and changes the color scheme a bit nowadays to the point people think this is the official Win3x canon color scheme now.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 9, by TheAlmightyGuru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the confirmation keenmaster486.

And thanks for the info leileilol. I switched to the S3 driver and the colors now match what I remember.

This is odd to me because my first computer only had a VGA display and ran Windows 3.0, but I remember the colors being more-saturated. However, I wonder if my memory has been clouded after I upgraded to Windows 95?

Reply 6 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win 3.0 had a different VGA palette in its driver IIRC. Win3.1's VGA driver uses the palette everyone knows (And the other VGA driver became an alternate choice in some MMPACK that some OEMS ship sometimes)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^That's right, Afaik. Windows 3.0 Setup program used a different type of dithering/gradient for the background, too.
Another thing that comes to mind: Windows 3.0 had a lighter coloured "blue" title bar than Windows 3.1x.

Also, Windows 3.0 in Real-Mode supported the old Windows 2.x palette and colouring, provided that a
compatible Windows 2.x graphics driver was loaded. In that case, Windows 3.0 even has the Windows 2.x
buttons and icons (minimize, maximizie, program manager icons etc).

If memory serves, the Palettized VGA driver (640x480 16c) from Windows 3.0 with Multimedia Extensions was
similar to the old Windows 3.0 VGA driver, but allowed for color-cycling, a features used by a few games and WinFract.
This device driver also works for Windows 3.1x, I believe.

PS. I wished my PC was still up and running, but I'm limited to a Raspberry Pi right now. 🙁

Edit: There's something that makes me wonder and that I have got no answer for..
The Windows 3.1 VGA drivers is said to support "dirty-retangle" (only updates parts of screen that have changed).
- Is that also true for Windows 3.0 standard VGA driver and/or the palettized VGA driver ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again, just remembered a place with lots of screen shots featuring various GUIs..

https://guidebookgallery.org

For Windows 3.x vs 3.1 comparison click of one of these links..

https://guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/win30
https://guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/win31

win30.png
Filename
win30.png
File size
8.18 KiB
Views
File comment
Windows 3.0 VGA driver
File license
win31-1-1.png
Filename
win31-1-1.png
File size
7.08 KiB
Views
File comment
Windows 3.1 VGA driver
File license

Source: https://guidebookgallery.org/guis/windows/win30

PS: You can also visit Toasty Tech page, too, of course.
Also remember that Windows 3.0 used dithering in the title bar.
- With a little bit of blur and gamma increased, the desktop rather would look like this.:

win30_edited.jpg
Filename
win30_edited.jpg
File size
22.33 KiB
Views
File license

It's not perfect, of course, but gives an idea how it may looked on some CRT screens in the 90s,
if the user decided to increase brightness a bit, so things would be good visible in the office or something.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Found a screen shot that comes close to what you posted in the first posting..

win30games.png
Filename
win30games.png
File size
5.45 KiB
Views
File comment
Solitair on Windows 3.0 (standard VGA)
File license

Source: http://toastytech.com/guis/win30.html

With a little bit of editing again, it looks even more washed out..:

win30games_edited.jpg
Filename
win30games_edited.jpg
File size
52.06 KiB
Views
File license

//My video channel//