VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lougr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Links 2003 running in Oracle Virtualbox XP guest (on an Ubuntu system) with little joy. I just tried Dege's voodoo and still no success. The program installs and starts okay but complains about no 3d acceleration. I'm wondering if the Intel 3000 graphics is even capable of handling this program. Can anyone help me solve this? TIA

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dgvoodoo requires DX 10.1. Windows XP only supports a max of DX9. So your minimum for dgvoodoo is Vista.
Did you try the game in virtualbox without dgvoodoo?

Also virtual machines usually have horrible and buggy 3D graphics support so the guest drivers/addition and/or wrapper to the host may have issues.

Have you tried wine?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by lougr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried wine (several times). The wine appdb has only two claims for a successful links - and neither sounds like a 100% success, not do they go into detail on how they did it. Would I be better advised to go with windows 7? I've seen some claims that links can run well on that os, Thnaks for the info...

Reply 3 of 3, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I play the game flawlessly in Windows 7 and 8.1 using Intel HD 4000. I needed to edit the videocard.txt (see here: https://www.linkscountryclub.com/help/intel-windows-7-8)

I think it also worked in VirtualBox, but you must enable 3D acceleration or the game won't run. I don't know if it's possible in Ubuntu or not.