Common searches

Problematic Windows games list

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Despite using git (lightly) at work, I don't know how to save out a build with that merge committed into it. I only just managed to follow the download guide on https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/modern … it/ba-p/1671418 😁

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 242 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazyc wrote on 2024-02-01, 03:32:

Thanks! However now Tomcat Alley installer is failing, saying it's got an error or corrupt, even with build I used before. Maybe installing it once breaks it?

Worst case (as it's ye-olde game) I'll install on virtual machine and copy the install folder across!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 244 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sussed it, just needed to set the "Start in:" destination to the DVD drive.

Reply 245 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if it's possible to somehow combine Dxwnd with OTVDM, as Tomcat Alley only runs in a window, but not the main window OTVDM spawns, so couldn't use Dxwnd against OTVDM or it'd pick up the pop up console window instead, I suspect.

Reply 246 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fixed Evel Knieval too, just needed dgVoodoo2. Latest version seems to work, can even push it to HD and above!

Reply 247 of 256, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2024-02-01, 18:46:

I wonder if it's possible to somehow combine Dxwnd with OTVDM, as Tomcat Alley only runs in a window, but not the main window OTVDM spawns, so couldn't use Dxwnd against OTVDM or it'd pick up the pop up console window instead, I suspect.

If you run otvdmw the console window is suppressed.

Reply 248 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, every day is a school day! I tried the "w" version with Dxwnd directing to it, but the game still launches in a window.

Reply 249 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2024-02-01, 21:47:

Thanks, every day is a school day! I tried the "w" version with Dxwnd directing to it, but the game still launches in a window.

Probably a better thing would be to ask this in DxWnd forums. There are mulltiple configurations to launch an app in a window.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 250 of 256, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2024-01-29, 20:54:

p.s. the sound in S40 Racing I'd really like solved; tried using Creative ALchemy even (as I've got a compatible sound card) but then there's no sound at all! In VMWare Player the sound plays but stutters and the frame rate is pretty awful.

I have the same issue on Win7. The result is the same with either versions 1.0, 1.1 or 1.3.

Reply 251 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ferrari Virtual Academy 2K10 is now playable again, thanks to a crack to get around the sign in (to a now non-existant server). This was a game made in a pre-Assetto Corsa engine by Kunos Simulazioni and was used for Ferrari promotional competitions. Happy I can play it again, as I paid for it, back in the day, even if it is just a limited hotlap experience! It's on archive.org now.

Reply 252 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the free RaceRoom The Game titles can be played again too! See my post on https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to … ne-mode.268808/

Reply 253 of 256, by apricot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Theme Park the original is a hard game to get working, should be ok on something like a 386 Roller Coaster Tycoon is a good alternative on more modern machines Pentium PRO and even on Pentium 4 under WIN95/98/2000

I would really like to play Wing Commander tho that is one I've not managed to get working right.

Reply 254 of 256, by FB3Network

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Starsky and Hutch is yet another problematic Windows game. On Windows 10, there is a bug that makes the game unplayable. Whenever you get to the construction zone in Season 1 Episode 3 "Bay City Heatwave", the game will crash and will throw up a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error with the code R6025 and the name "pure virtual function call". Not only is this error incredibly vague and unhelpful due to the lack of information in the dialogue box and the incredibly vague terminology for it, but I have also found no working solutions for this. People said that the game crashes at this part because of the framerate being over 60 FPS and that you would have to cap the maximum frame rate to 60 FPS. And guess what? I have tried that, it hasn't worked. I have even used many tools to cap the game's frame rate to at LEAST 60, and every single time I have gotten the exact same error message whenever I got to the construction zone. I have followed all of the 'advice' that was given, and it either did nothing to stop the runtime error, or made some parts of the game run poorly. I literally have exhausted all of my efforts trying to get this dang game to work. I have wasted all day trying to get this working, and nothing I have done has fixed the issue. I even ran the game in compatability mode for Windows XP, and the issue persisted. I literally don't even wanna try to get this working anymore, I officially give up.

This issue, even with the patch installed, makes the entire rest of the game unplayable, and it has been literally impossible for me to get the game working past the problem area.

Reply 255 of 256, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FB3Network wrote on 2024-03-22, 02:35:

Starsky and Hutch is yet another problematic Windows game. On Windows 10, there is a bug that makes the game unplayable. Whenever you get to the construction zone in Season 1 Episode 3 "Bay City Heatwave", the game will crash and will throw up a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error with the code R6025 and the name "pure virtual function call". Not only is this error incredibly vague and unhelpful due to the lack of information in the dialogue box and the incredibly vague terminology for it, but I have also found no working solutions for this. People said that the game crashes at this part because of the framerate being over 60 FPS and that you would have to cap the maximum frame rate to 60 FPS. And guess what? I have tried that, it hasn't worked. I have even used many tools to cap the game's frame rate to at LEAST 60, and every single time I have gotten the exact same error message whenever I got to the construction zone. I have followed all of the 'advice' that was given, and it either did nothing to stop the runtime error, or made some parts of the game run poorly. I literally have exhausted all of my efforts trying to get this dang game to work. I have wasted all day trying to get this working, and nothing I have done has fixed the issue. I even ran the game in compatability mode for Windows XP, and the issue persisted. I literally don't even wanna try to get this working anymore, I officially give up.

This issue, even with the patch installed, makes the entire rest of the game unplayable, and it has been literally impossible for me to get the game working past the problem area.

Oh yeah! The infamous R6025 runtime error thingy....
IIRC (as confirmed by good old Microsoft and every independent source available), that one is caused when certain softwares crash rather unexpectedly to a wrongfully cast pointer into an abstract "base" class. It could also mean that there's a problem with either missing or corrupted files pertaining to said software(s), including some games.

I can still remember trying ro run *NASCAR Racing 2003 Season* (Papyrus/Sierra, 2003) in its vanilla (original/unpatched) form on my potato PC. What a major headache it was!

In your case, it appears to be an unfortunate compatibility error pertaining to the game's graphics engine where it crashes over to the desktop if your monitor's framerate is faster than the originally intended one. -It apparently runs on the the same engine used in *Grand Theft Auto: Vice City* right there.-

(I've read somewhere that said game's CDs could be obtained for free inside the boxes of certain cereal brands a long time ago. #PleaseConfirm)

According to the PCGW's entry for S&H, your best bet is to set either your OS or monitor's refresh rate down to 60 Hz and implement a DX9 converter plugin such as D3D8to9, which can also help sort any vsync issues if ran on newer versions of Windows.

I'll keep you posted on them results on this subject. #StayTuned

Reply 256 of 256, by FB3Network

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Speedwarrior956 wrote on 2024-03-31, 01:26:

(I've read somewhere that said game's CDs could be obtained for free inside the boxes of certain cereal brands a long time ago. #PleaseConfirm)

Yes, Starsky and Hutch came bundled with some boxes of Nestlé cereal.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nostalgia/comments/f … europe_back_in/