VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How to make Gabriel Knight run on Windows (any version) without emulators? Check the update on my site:

http://www.GabrielKnight2K.tk

Visit my site:

http://gkpatches.vogons.org

Reply 2 of 47, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been anticipating your patch since you announced it on the SpaceQuest.net boards in NewRisingSun's thread last summer. I have also tried your GK2 no-interlace video patch that you posted on the Mega-Tokyo Message Board,which was great work.

Your site seems to be blocked on Road Runner, though. I still have some time left on my old dial-up ISP and was able to get through to your site on it.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 47, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reckless, that's the deal with old software! 😀 Thank you, I've put much effort and dedication into this, therefore positive feedback is always appreciated.

Collector, Lycos hosting service is really cheap. It also puts that ugly banner on the right of the page. I'm going to change provider in the near future, but it's hard to find a good one nowadays.

Visit my site:

Reply 5 of 47, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice, thanks a lot 😀

GK is a bit slow in DOSBox on my machine, and your installer comes just when I'm discovering the game.

Sweet 😀

Edit: There are some problems in close-ups, when you must rotate somthing (the old clock at granny's, and the thermostat At the Police office, maybe more, I'm not very far in the game).

Could you please have a look at it?

BTW, when you say "any version", you mean any version of Windosw, or any CD version of GK? Woul it work with the french version (english voices, french text)?

Reply 6 of 47, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zorbid wrote:

Very nice, thanks a lot 😀
Edit: There are some problems in close-ups, when you must rotate somthing (the old clock at granny's, and the thermostat At the Police office, maybe more, I'm not very far in the game).

What is exactly the problem? Please give me a more detailed description so I can fix it.

BTW, when you say "any version", you mean any version of Windosw, or any CD version of GK? Woul it work with the french version (english voices, french text)?

Sorry, I meant any Windows version.

Visit my site:

Reply 7 of 47, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, my mistake about the "rotate" cursor, in fact, it turns into the windows sand glass if you leave a given area, which is rather narrow. When it has the sand glass shape, clicking or moving the mouse has no effect at all on the game. I thougnt that the cursor turned into the sand glass in wrong places, but, in fact the "good" zone is just very narrow. I started to ply the game in DOSBox, and IIRC, the mouse behaviour was different in these close-ups. I can't test it now because I've deleted my iso after installing your version.

I've noticed real problem: the poems at the beginning of each day disapear too quickly. I'm not a native english speaker, and I only have the time to read the first line. I have no problem ingame..

Edit: two other things:
- At the beginning of day 5, Grace Gives gabe the RAda book, then glitch, there is the scene of day4 in whitch grace gives back the veve to Gabe, then she gives the Rada book once again, then finally, she gives the letter and packege from the german uncle. I haven't tried to reproduce it, though.

[spoiler]
- At the beginning of day five, if you loook at the drummer at the police station, the description says "another of these Gedde drummers. Malia isn't "offifially" linked to the voodoo cartel at that point of the game. (And I don't know in fact if she will be or not, but I assume that she is the leader of the gang..)[/spoiler]

Reply 8 of 47, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zorbid wrote:

Sorry, my mistake about the "rotate" cursor, in fact, it turns into the windows sand glass if you leave a given area, which is rather narrow. [...] I started to ply the game in DOSBox, and IIRC, the mouse behaviour was different in these close-ups.

Yes, there is a substantial difference between DOS and Windows version. And I agree the area is pretty restricted (restricted area 😁) and I'm going to fix it in the future.

I've noticed real problem: the poems at the beginning of each day disapear too quickly. I'm not a native english speaker, and I only have the time to read the first line. I have no problem ingame..

Poems speed seems quite normal here. You can use the TEXT control in the setup screen to slow down text speed.

- At the beginning of day 5, Grace Gives gabe the RAda book, then glitch, there is the scene of day4 in whitch grace gives back the veve to Gabe, then she gives the Rada book once again, then finally, she gives the letter and packege from the german uncle.

I'm gonna check that one too.

[spoiler]
- At the beginning of day five, if you loook at the drummer at the police station, the description says "another of these Gedde drummers. Malia isn't "offifially" linked to the voodoo cartel at that point of the game.[/spoiler]

She has some connection with that drummer, but as you pointed out, that's a bug. That's very smart of you, I've never noticed that before.

Visit my site:

Reply 9 of 47, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that smart actually, just logical for someone who plays the game for the first time.

You're right about the poems, but I didn't pay attention to the text speed setting because the voices are on, which lets me a lot of time to read what I don't understand.

Now that I think of it, the volume of the speech varies a lot. Is it a recording problem, or a script problem? If the first, the voice samples should be remastered using some kind of compressor (but it might be outside the scope of your interrest..)

I've had a savegame corrupted. The game seems to load fine, but it crashes as soon as you click on the "save" button in the menu. I say seems to load fine but there is a problem. I was using only one savegame, and I saved periodically. The game restored isn't the last I saved... Would you be interrested in getting the file (and the save index, of course)?

Reply 10 of 47, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, please send me that save game, and I'll see what I can do.

UPDATE: I've just fixed a bug that occurred when saving while a sound was playing. The game "freezed" and the saved game was "broken" too (the game was still "frozen" when the save was loaded). Maybe that's what happened to you?

Regarding the package-book thing, I've been able to reproduce the sequence and you're right. There's a bug which makes Grace giving the rada book twice on day 5. It's surprising and also a bit frustrating to see how many bugs there are still lying around in the game.

As for the voices volume, the samples have just been recorder with different volume. Some voices were re-recorder and apparently none cared to balance the volume of the whole soundtrack.

Visit my site:

Reply 12 of 47, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Did you patch the windows executable to fix the save bug?

The readme available with the download contains a *lot* of fixes 😀 ... yes, including the infamous saving bug. I'm guessing Endroz started off there are carried on and on (and on) with what was required!

Reply 13 of 47, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that the save bug has been fixed. I was just wondering what Endroz had to do to fix it. The save bug seemed like it was more of an interpreter problem, rather than a script problem. This is why NewRisingSun wouldn't look into it. There are other Sierra games that have more problems under XP than just the speed bugs, Windows versions of KQ6 and some versions of 7, Light House and several others. Many of these can be worked around, sometimes by simply running the DOS version (when one exists,) but, it would be nice to have the Windows versions working, especially in KQ6, as the graphics in the Windows version is much better than in the DOS version.

Reply 14 of 47, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

collector,
the savegame bug as well as others "Windows only" bugs from Sierra games are only related to faulty Windows NT support of old applications. If you will take a look around you will see that actually many old games do have the same problems with Windows XP and such. And, things are going to get even worse than this. Microsoft will probably discontinue support for old 16-bit application in future version of its "unOperating System" 😀 therefore FreeSCI sounds like the only option for the future, if you ask me.

Enrico

Visit my site:

Reply 15 of 47, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dual boot XP and the beta of 64 bit XP and I can tell you that NO 16 bit programs will run on XP64. It's good that DOSBox is getting as good as it is. Now that it runs Win 3.1, we will be able to run earlier Windows games (when we can run it in 256 colors.)

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 16 of 47, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

I've released another update for the GK patch (version 1.02).

If you have already installed GK with the previous version of this patch you can download the 1.01 -> 1.02 patch so you won't be needing to reinstall or replay the whole game from the beginning.

This should solve any savegame bug still left out, as well as the other problems discussed on this board.

Enrico

Visit my site:

Reply 17 of 47, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot, once again 😀

Here is the save game you requested, just in case it could still be useful. I don't need it to be fixed, I've finished the game (I cheated, shame on me..)

Attachments

• Filename
    GKSG.rar
    File size
    47.28 KiB
    Downloads
    505 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 47, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope you haven't ruined yourself the game by cheating. How did you do that? With the SCI debugger?

I've downloaded your save, but I cannot manage to load it.
However that's not important, I've played the whole game in the past months and saved often, and I never ran into any problem. Just a few days ago I've found out that I made a mistake in my code, which led to a freeze of the game in a very rare case whenever a certain thing happened (I won't go into details...). And I've fixed it, thus now saved games are working fine.

Enrico

Visit my site:

Reply 19 of 47, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Endroz,
The patch looks for GK1.ICO, which does not exist on my copy of GK1CD. SIERRAW.ICO, however, does exist.
Also, what's up with your web space? It seems to flake out a lot.

Yes, it’s my fault.