VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to run this game on Win-10 and XP gives the same error message : KNIGHTS.EXE
"The instruction at 00000000 referenced memory at 00000000
The memory could not be read from
Click on OK to terminate the application"

Tried all the usual compatibility fixes available in windows, single core only, and slowing CPU down with no luck so far. Game uses WING but I have that installed and checked with process monitor that it finds and loads those dlls.

This game is pretty interesting as it shows what the original Alone in the Dark 1-3 engine would look like in SVGA. The more common earlier Europe release of this game was Dos only without an SVGA mode.

Reply 2 of 16, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-02-27, 21:13:

How about BoxedWine?

ETA: The GOG version is "powered by DOSBox", so I suppose there will be no help there.
https://www.gog.com/game/time_gate_knights_chase

The GOG and Steam versions are the European release that was VGA 320x200 and DOS only. The US release includes those but also a Win95 SVGA version.
I remember the same memory '00000000 error' message in a few other win95 games years ago but can't remember how I got them to work in the end.

Reply 4 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I lost my CD and now I am looking for a bin/cue.

More importantly, when I double click the file it tells to enter CD and i havent found any error since.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Terracresta wrote on 2020-08-27, 23:24:

Like Win 98 having problems with more than 1GB.

Windows 98 starts to have serious problems at 512 MB.

I'm not aware of any specific Windows programs (or Win32 programs, at least) that object to too much RAM. Windows is generally smarter than that when it comes to memory management.

Reply 7 of 16, by Terracresta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-08-28, 01:35:
Terracresta wrote on 2020-08-27, 23:24:

Like Win 98 having problems with more than 1GB.

Windows 98 starts to have serious problems at 512 MB.

I'm not aware of any specific Windows programs (or Win32 programs, at least) that object to too much RAM. Windows is generally smarter than that when it comes to memory management.

I had a handful of Win9x games that won't run with too much RAM even though they might be able to run on modern system if not for this problem. Only a small number of games but they do exist the same way certain games and programs have problems with big hard drives. Photoshop 7 for example when you want to save on a big HDD (couldn't save on my 4TB one).

Win98SE has problems above 512MB but there are ways to stretch it to 1GB but anything (much) above isn't possible. There some unofficial service packs for the German version of Win98SE. They state using HimemX v3.32 you go up to 1150MB of RAM. I'm not using them as I once tried SP 3.0 after running SP 2.1 and it messed up the system after updating. 2.1 being already an unofficial one.

Reply 8 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is prrobably a fix for the 0000000 error, you have to use compatibility administrator and create a shim for map memory b00000. I read this somewhere else for another game

Reply 9 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Terracresta wrote on 2020-08-28, 03:06:

I had a handful of Win9x games that won't run with too much RAM even though they might be able to run on modern system if not for this problem.

Could you please name some of them?

Only a small number of games but they do exist the same way certain games and programs have problems with big hard drives.

I agree there are definitely games that may have problems if there is too much hard drive space, but that is a different issue.

Win98SE has problems above 512MB but there are ways to stretch it to 1GB but anything (much) above isn't possible. There some unofficial service packs for the German version of Win98SE.

Yes, there are freely-available unofficial patches for other versions of Windows 98 as well to fix the 512 MB issue, namely https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM .

Reply 10 of 16, by Terracresta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-08-28, 16:27:
Could you please name some of them? […]
Show full quote
Terracresta wrote on 2020-08-28, 03:06:

I had a handful of Win9x games that won't run with too much RAM even though they might be able to run on modern system if not for this problem.

Could you please name some of them?

Only a small number of games but they do exist the same way certain games and programs have problems with big hard drives.

I agree there are definitely games that may have problems if there is too much hard drive space, but that is a different issue.

Win98SE has problems above 512MB but there are ways to stretch it to 1GB but anything (much) above isn't possible. There some unofficial service packs for the German version of Win98SE.

Yes, there are freely-available unofficial patches for other versions of Windows 98 as well to fix the 512 MB issue, namely https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM .

Sadly I can't remember what game it was, were I run into this problem as it has been like a year or longer. Most likely have written it down in the Readme file, as I'm building my gaming database and noting down problems and solutions of how to run these old games but I got thousands of games, so it's not easy to find without looking through all of the folders.

Reply 11 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you talking about this game?

Attachments

Reply 12 of 16, by Terracresta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, but the game I was talking about that couldn't run with too much RAM wasn't Knight's Chase. So I guess the RAM wasn't the problem with Knight's Chase problem AvalonH had.

Btw, how did you install the game as the version I have only has 16bit installers that can't run on my 64bit OS?

Reply 13 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Terracresta wrote on 2020-08-29, 10:14:

Yeah, but the game I was talking about that couldn't run with too much RAM wasn't Knight's Chase. So I guess the RAM wasn't the problem with Knight's Chase problem AvalonH had.

Btw, how did you install the game as the version I have only has 16bit installers that can't run on my 64bit OS?

WineVDM can install the game, the big problem was there was no wing.dll in the SysWOW64 and system32 folder, that was my. Problem

Reply 14 of 16, by Terracresta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-08-29, 12:41:

WineVDM can install the game, the big problem was there was no wing.dll in the SysWOW64 and system32 folder, that was my. Problem

Thanks, I will have to try out WineVDM myself for all my 16bit installers and games.

Reply 15 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Terracresta wrote on 2020-08-29, 20:58:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-08-29, 12:41:

Thanks, I will have to try out WineVDM myself for all my 16bit installers and games.

The game itself is 32 bit but setup isnt.

Reply 16 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AvalonH wrote on 2020-02-26, 23:12:
Trying to run this game on Win-10 and XP gives the same error message : KNIGHTS.EXE "The instruction at 00000000 referenced memo […]
Show full quote

Trying to run this game on Win-10 and XP gives the same error message : KNIGHTS.EXE
"The instruction at 00000000 referenced memory at 00000000
The memory could not be read from
Click on OK to terminate the application"

Tried all the usual compatibility fixes available in windows, single core only, and slowing CPU down with no luck so far. Game uses WING but I have that installed and checked with process monitor that it finds and loads those dlls.

This game is pretty interesting as it shows what the original Alone in the Dark 1-3 engine would look like in SVGA. The more common earlier Europe release of this game was Dos only without an SVGA mode.

I got this problem too, I fixed it by inserting the disc. I uss a bin/cue and used Alcohol 120 and the game ran after putting in the disk.