VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seen a bunch of topics here and elsewhere....but SO many dead links... Did there ever exist an Icon pack for all the various Windows games (and DOS games as well)? Anybody have a link to it? I can look into making my own, but proper iconography is an art! (so all I would be able to do is shrink down a screenshot and crop it)

Also, is there any cool and easy to use menu system to graphically view all my games? I'm simply just using the start menu now (or folders on the desktop). Would love something even as simply as what Netflix does (a square grid of pictures with names). Something like what my 2001 OG Xbox does would be even more amazing:

k6M0KtR.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by IlhanK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-03-02, 20:25:
Also, is there any cool and easy to use menu system to graphically view all my games? I'm simply just using the start menu now ( […]
Show full quote

Also, is there any cool and easy to use menu system to graphically view all my games? I'm simply just using the start menu now (or folders on the desktop). Would love something even as simply as what Netflix does (a square grid of pictures with names). Something like what my 2001 OG Xbox does would be even more amazing:

k6M0KtR.jpg

https://www.launchbox-app.com/

Reply 2 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's generally no icon pack for Windows games because the binaries themselves provide a suitable icon. There have been several icon packs made for DOS games made since the dawn of Windows 3.x however (Ancient zips of note: W95GAMIC.ZIP, HAPPY95.ZIP, ICONCITY.ZIP, ALLICONS.ZIP)

Granted these are mainly 32x32x4/32x32x8 icons, no idea if you're asking about oversized Vista+ "icons" that are often designed as an afterthought like an amiga game... in that case, one can imagemagick up a script to make a big 256x256x32 square crop out of a scanned game cover scraped from moby with wget and do an alpha cut with a circle to make a very GoG quality 'icon'

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 3, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IlhanK wrote on 2020-03-02, 21:01:
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-03-02, 20:25:
Also, is there any cool and easy to use menu system to graphically view all my games? I'm simply just using the start menu now ( […]
Show full quote

k6M0KtR.jpg

https://www.launchbox-app.com/

Thanks, but I'm failing to find out if that works on Windows 98 - keep on getting specs of the emulators it launches and what's needed from that end (which my P3 falls FAR short of all those benchmarks too!).

Through their game library section though I can at least grab screenshots if I'm going to make my own!

leileilol wrote on 2020-03-03, 01:00:

There's generally no icon pack for Windows games because the binaries themselves provide a suitable icon. There have been several icon packs made for DOS games made since the dawn of Windows 3.x however (Ancient zips of note: W95GAMIC.ZIP, HAPPY95.ZIP, ICONCITY.ZIP, ALLICONS.ZIP)

Granted these are mainly 32x32x4/32x32x8 icons, no idea if you're asking about oversized Vista+ "icons" that are often designed as an afterthought like an amiga game... in that case, one can imagemagick up a script to make a big 256x256x32 square crop out of a scanned game cover scraped from moby with wget and do an alpha cut with a circle to make a very GoG quality 'icon'

I guess I'm mostly talking about DOS games then (but ones which came out right before, or even during W95 - seems like most games switched over around 1997 to Windows and no DOS version...no .ICO file for most of themI'm seeing).

I'll search out those files but so far it's a bit troubling... The first one I tried, "W95GAMIC.ZIP" for example has a mere 5 Google hits....TWO 404 file not founds, TWO sites come up as viruses (and I'm at work and just got the official work pop-up so I'm afraid IT is going to give me a call now...), and I'm scared to try the 5th 🤣... This is the same I've found by searching on my own and is why I was trying to get some links which are known working and safe.