Prince of Persia 3D on Windows 10

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-04, 06:21:

Have you tried the usual (go to task manager, details, right click the installer process then "Analyze wait chain" and see if some other process is holding the installer up)?

The process is usually one drive . For me it was logitech most of the time

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 22 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-03, 05:27:
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-02, 13:11:

Yeah nothing seems to work to get it to run and it just crashes with dgvoodoo. To be honest I don’t even think it is usesimg nGlide either as even if I just leave all 3 glide.dll in the folder I never get the splash screen which I turn on for testing. I got the crack from here https://popuw.com/download3.html

The mistake was, POP3D doesnt use Glide. It uses DirectX as the game has worked fine on extracting the files from MS/x86 folder of dgVoodoo.

When i have tried to use dgvoodoo i could not even get to the game menu. Using no wrapper I can get to the menu at least. THis has been honestly the weirdest game i have ever had issues with.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 23 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-04, 01:18:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-03, 15:11:

How you couldn't get it to. Run. Did you use any disk mounting softwares? The setup is 32 bit so there shouldnt be any problem.
Btw which build you used. I used 1909 64 bit pro

Same 1909 Pro 64bit, using retail CDs, installer / setup just doesn't start, will look into it more after work, not trying to hijack thread.

In my experience if you open task manager and it shows the installshield installer running it is actually working. however I have seen it take up to an hour or more for it to actually pop up on the desktop to let me install the game.

Reply 24 of 61, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-04, 12:28:
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-04, 01:18:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-03, 15:11:

How you couldn't get it to. Run. Did you use any disk mounting softwares? The setup is 32 bit so there shouldnt be any problem.
Btw which build you used. I used 1909 64 bit pro

Same 1909 Pro 64bit, using retail CDs, installer / setup just doesn't start, will look into it more after work, not trying to hijack thread.

In my experience if you open task manager and it shows the installshield installer running it is actually working. however I have seen it take up to an hour or more for it to actually pop up on the desktop to let me install the game.

There's no reason to wait for that, just analyze wait chain.

Reply 25 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-04, 07:39:

Have you tried the usual (go to task manager, details, right click the installer process then "Analyze wait chain" and see if some other process is holding the installer up)?

Oddly enough once i killed the logitech software the installer now runs, I was able to get the game running with the unprotected exe, with the retail CDs (disc 2 in my bluray drive)

The nocd patches/fixes just seem to make the game black screen then crash without error. I've not tried setting up a virtual drive for disc 2 yet but the game runs without need for dgvoodoo.

Edit: Have now tried with virtual drive for CD2 and it works great, also tried out dgvoodoo2 directx side of things and works great at 4k, although now the videos don't want to play(sound but no actual video)
dgvoodoo2 helps to stabilise the framerate , Further tweaking could maybe be done with the aspect ration but imo it looks ok, massive benefit from the AA/AF

4K screenshot
Gp5GGEVm.jpg

Short Video (A-La Youtube)
https://youtu.be/paR0aqL-oEQ

Reply 26 of 61, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the aspect ratio, check my first post on this thread. The guide that I posted also includes this fix.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 27 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-04, 16:43:
Oddly enough once i killed the logitech software the installer now runs, I was able to get the game running with the unprotected […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-04, 07:39:

Oddly enough once i killed the logitech software the installer now runs, I was able to get the game running with the unprotected exe, with the retail CDs (disc 2 in my bluray drive)

The nocd patches/fixes just seem to make the game black screen then crash without error. I've not tried setting up a virtual drive for disc 2 yet but the game runs without need for dgvoodoo.

Edit: Have now tried with virtual drive for CD2 and it works great, also tried out dgvoodoo2 directx side of things and works great at 4k, although now the videos don't want to play(sound but no actual video)
dgvoodoo2 helps to stabilise the framerate , Further tweaking could maybe be done with the aspect ration but imo it looks ok, massive benefit from the AA/AF

4K screenshot
Gp5GGEVm.jpg

Short Video (A-La Youtube)
https://youtu.be/paR0aqL-oEQ

Resolution and aa might have caused the video problem.

Reply 28 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-04, 19:47:

Seems to be quicktime / directdraw related, updating quicktime player to 7.79 and disabling directdraw support in the quicktime player settings let the videos play in their original size.

re-sizing the videos should make them more watchable.

Reply 29 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am envious of anyone who can make this game to run because it absolutely refuses for me.

Reply 30 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-05, 12:10:

I am envious of anyone who can make this game to run because it absolutely refuses for me.

This is what I did:
Install the game.
Update the game.
Copy dgVoodoo/MS/x86 files in the game directory
Copy dgVoodooCpl.exe to the game directory and run it as admin.
In the app, going to the DirectX tab,change video card to GeForce 4Ti and set VRAM to 128MB.
Run the game with Disk 2 in the proper Virtual Drive

Using dgVoodoo disables QuickTime support,so no videos.
Also notice that beforeeyou try out dgVoodoo,try WinXP SP2 compatibility first.

I dont know why the game crashes for me if i set resolution from dgvoodoo

Reply 31 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-05, 13:14:
This is what I did: Install the game. Update the game. Copy dgVoodoo/MS/x86 files in the game directory Copy dgVoodooCpl.exe to […]
Show full quote

This is what I did:
Install the game.
Update the game.
In the app, going to the DirectX tab,change video card to GeForce 4Ti and set VRAM to 128MB.

Yeah running as admin is important especially if you've installed the game in the default programme files(x86) directory as windows 10 now requires admin rights to save / delete anything from there, so without that dgvoodoocpl.exe can't save your settings

When you set up the 3D device with dgvoodocpl, try selecting "Radeon 8500" as the 3d device and 256mb of vram, for me it didn't like the standard "dgvoodoo" device, the videos will play just need to make sure to disable directdraw/direct3d acceleration in the quicktime player advanced settings, should be an option for "GDI only"

You can also use ffmpeg to scale/resize the .mov video files so they're watchable on modern displays it doesn't like 4K, plays slow and choppy but 1080p it plays just fine, I didn't try 1440 as I'm too lazy to wait for the encoding.
They play centred in the screen in front of the desktop(no black borders).

Hope that helps, It's actually a pretty cool game once you get into it.

I got it working by:
Install the game
Patch the game (use the unpacked patch files from the pop3d website)
Use the unprotected pop3d.exe
Use dgvoodoo ms files copy them into the pop3d directory
Use dgvoodoocpl.exe as admin to set the directory for pop3d and set your direct3d 3d device/ resolution / aa/af settings and make sure you click apply (it should the make a dgvoodoo.conf file in the pop3d base directory)
Update Quicktime player from the apple website version 7.79 can be downloaded still and is compatible with the game's mov files
Disable directdraw / direct3d acceleration in the advanced settings of quicktime player.
Make a virtual cd drive for disc 2(play disc) it doesn't seem to care what drive letter is used which is pretty cool for a game of that era.
Then just play the game, it should work
As I mentioned you can re-encode the movie files if you want but this is optional very easy to do with ffmpeg there's 13 of them, just makes viewing them easier on the eyes.

Reply 32 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-05, 17:14:
Yeah running as admin is important especially if you've installed the game in the default programme files(x86) directory as wind […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-05, 13:14:
This is what I did: Install the game. Update the game. Copy dgVoodoo/MS/x86 files in the game directory Copy dgVoodooCpl.exe to […]
Show full quote

This is what I did:
Install the game.
Update the game.

Yeah running as admin is important especially if you've installed the game in the default programme files(x86) directory as windows 10 now requires admin rights to save / delete anything from there, so without that dgvoodoocpl.exe can't save your settings

When you set up the 3D device with dgvoodocpl, try selecting "Radeon 8500" as the 3d device and 256mb of vram, for me it didn't like the standard "dgvoodoo" device, the videos will play just need to make sure to disable directdraw/direct3d acceleration in the quicktime player advanced settings, should be an option for "GDI only"

You can also use ffmpeg to scale/resize the .mov video files so they're watchable on modern displays it doesn't like 4K, plays slow and choppy but 1080p it plays just fine, I didn't try 1440 as I'm too lazy to wait for the encoding.
They play centred in the screen in front of the desktop(no black borders).

Hope that helps, It's actually a pretty cool game once you get into it.

I got it working by:
Install the game
Patch the game (use the unpacked patch files from the pop3d website)
Use the unprotected pop3d.exe
Use dgvoodoo ms files copy them into the pop3d directory
Use dgvoodoocpl.exe as admin to set the directory for pop3d and set your direct3d 3d device/ resolution / aa/af settings and make sure you click apply (it should the make a dgvoodoo.conf file in the pop3d base directory)
Update Quicktime player from the apple website version 7.79 can be downloaded still and is compatible with the game's mov files
Disable directdraw / direct3d acceleration in the advanced settings of quicktime player.
Make a virtual cd drive for disc 2(play disc) it doesn't seem to care what drive letter is used which is pretty cool for a game of that era.
Then just play the game, it should work
As I mentioned you can re-encode the movie files if you want but this is optional very easy to do with ffmpeg there's 13 of them, just makes viewing them easier on the eyes.

Updating quick time may help me as the game crashed on highet resolutions. Gotta download quick time.

For me every card crashes the game.although i will try again with radeon 8500 along with new quicktime

Reply 33 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-05, 00:34:

Seems to be quicktime / directdraw related, updating quicktime player to 7.79 and disabling directdraw support in the quicktime player settings let the videos play in their original size.

Where can I get the option. I have installed Quicktime 7.7.9 but I havent discovered the option yet

Reply 34 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-06, 16:33:

Where can I get the option. I have installed Quicktime 7.7.9 but I havent discovered the option yet

in Quicktime player go to "Edit" then under preferences, iirc it's under advanced

Reply 35 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:05:

in Quicktime player go to "Edit" then under preferences, iirc it's under advanced

OK I got the option. However the videos dont work anymore now. If I got to cinematics in the game,the video doesnt start. However I have disabled DirectDraw in quicktime. I also found that when i run quicktime,the app freezes at a msg saying 'Switching'

Reply 36 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:24:

OK I got the option. However the videos dont work anymore now. If I got to cinematics in the game,the video doesnt start. However I have disabled DirectDraw in quicktime. I also found that when i run quicktime,the app freezes at a msg saying 'Switching'

The cinematic player in game doesn't work properly for me either it seems to play the mov files in the backround or something, they do play in game though when they're meant to. not sure why you're getting that msg or freezing.

Reply 37 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:28:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:24:

The cinematic player in game doesn't work properly for me either it seems to play the mov files in the backround or something, they do play in game though when they're meant to. not sure why you're getting that msg or freezing.

I think the new quicktime switches from thr old quicktime that i installed earlier.
When i had old quicktime,the game would run properly if i didn't interfere with resolution through any software . If i included dgVoodoo but didn't change the resolution, the video would play but on black screen, when i removed dgVoodoo, the video would play normally.

Quicktime 7.7.9 didnt even launch video on black screen, it just didn't run it. However you can manually open thr .mov files with QuickTime and will run it. I think new quicktime removed some dependencies or pluging required by the game

Reply 38 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I was trying to use the cracked copy of the game because i always get a no disk error and I actually have the real game disk in the drive. I trhink I can edit the registry to point it to a disk but I am not sure how. I honestly am probably going to give up as I have tried every suggestion and no go. Maybe if I can figure out how to get it to see the actually retail CD i own maybe it will work then.

Reply 39 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-06, 20:40:

So I was trying to use the cracked copy of the game because i always get a no disk error and I actually have the real game disk in the drive. I trhink I can edit the registry to point it to a disk but I am not sure how. I honestly am probably going to give up as I have tried every suggestion and no go. Maybe if I can figure out how to get it to see the actually retail CD i own maybe it will work then.

The disc should be in the drive/virtual drive through which you installed the game.