VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PeachPup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I'm trying to get Oddballz (a very charming Windows pet sim from the 90s) running on my 2016 MacBook pro. I've been able to get the game to run using Wine and Wineskins, but it always runs far too fast. I know that DOSBox has an option for changing the CPU cycles to slow games down, but of course when I try to run Oddballz through DOSBox on my Mac, I get an error message saying "This program must be run under Microsoft Windows".

Does anyone know how to slow down old Windows games on a Mac, through Wine or otherwise? Wineskin allows you to run the game with a command line shell, so is there a command I could use there to limit the CPU cycles/speed? Would really appreciate any help y'all can offer. Thank you! 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeachPup wrote on 2020-04-27, 21:09:

but of course when I try to run Oddballz through DOSBox on my Mac, I get an error message saying "This program must be run under Microsoft Windows".

That's the message for 16-bit Windows applications. You should be able to install Windows 3.x in DOSBox and run the game that way, if there isn't a more elegant solution.

Reply 2 of 5, by PeachPup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply! Do you think it would work if I installed Windows 95 on DOSBox instead? That's what I remember originally running the game on and I think it's more likely that I'll be able to find a copy of it lying around the house somewhere.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might work, but running Windows 95 in DOSBox is not generally supported and will likely cause problems. (It works slightly better in the unofficial DOSBox-X fork, but I don't even know if that's available for OS X.) Windows 3.x works much better.

Reply 5 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could always try UniPCemu or PCem(or was it PCem-X? For better speed.), although UniPCemu still is a bit slow(needing more optimizations, but currently unknown which ones) at ~30% realtime speed at i7-4790K@4.0GHz running at 3MIPS. But UniPCemu has the pro for better ET4000 graphics card emulation afaik(more accuracy compared to PCem/Dosbox).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io