VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 77, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DirectPlay is not an issue.

If on Windows 8 or later, install DirectPlay first from Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on and off.

Duplicate dplayx.dll in Windows\SysWOW64 (or System32 if it's 32-bit OS) and name it dplay.dll, alternatively, you can make a hard link to the original file, so physically, you have only one file with 2 names. dplayx.dll is an extended version of dplay.dll and judging by exported functions, backwards compatible with dplay.dll.

Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-16, 04:49:

So there is some AMD bug as this happens on AMD cpu. I think it is also a problem of buggy old AMD CPU extensions on Ryzen.

Nonsense...

Anyway, I already pointed out the main issue in one of my previous posts. Windows version of this game will never work reliably unless someone writes a proper patch for it.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 21 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote on 2020-05-16, 11:06:
DirectPlay is not an issue. […]
Show full quote

DirectPlay is not an issue.

If on Windows 8 or later, install DirectPlay first from Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on and off.

Duplicate dplayx.dll in Windows\SysWOW64 (or System32 if it's 32-bit OS) and name it dplay.dll, alternatively, you can make a hard link to the original file, so physically, you have only one file with 2 names. dplayx.dll is an extended version of dplay.dll and judging by exported functions, backwards compatible with dplay.dll.

Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-16, 04:49:

So there is some AMD bug as this happens on AMD cpu. I think it is also a problem of buggy old AMD CPU extensions on Ryzen.

Nonsense...

Anyway, I already pointed out the main issue in one of my previous posts. Windows version of this game will never work reliably unless someone writes a proper patch for it.

Duplication of dplayx.dll will give you an error regarding DSERIAL and DPWSOCK after you copy the files. If you don't enable Dplay in Legacy Application you just dont have the file. This problem only occurs when you copy the file from SYSWOW64/SYSTEM32 folder in Windows 8 and later.

What you told is for fixing the DPLAY.DLL missing error. What I wrote above is for fixing the DPWSOCK and DPSERIAL.DLL on any Windows 8 and later machine

Anyways I believe now AMD Ryzen isn't a problem. I think its my GPU which crashes at DDRAW initialisation.

The case is similar for NFS4 too where it crashes during DDRAW initialisation.

Its not possible at all for modders to fix this game as the game code is with EA and DX code is with MS. And people dont care about Force Feedback too much, so they wont be caring much for better DX backwards comparability

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 22 of 77, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are plenty of games out there with unofficial patches that were developed without access to the source code.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 23 of 77, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My two cents.

I bought years ago a boxed-copy, still-shrink-rapped copy of TNFS:SE, and I have found it to be one hell of a game to get to work, even on older systems.

First of all, the Windows version is worse than the DOS version in terms of performance. On my Pentium MMX 233 machine with a 3dfx PCI Voodoo Banshee, I have installed the game both under DOS 6.22 and WIndows 95 OSR2.5, and just from playing the game under either OS, playing it under DOS is just smoother.

And that's if you can even install the game under Windows. The game basically requires 95 - it does not work under Windows 98SE, at least you can't install it. Although I swear as a child I remember playing it under XP... I was too young to clearly remember anything.

And another thing - getting the in-game videos to work is also a bit challenging. Some video cards won't display the in-game videos, while others have no issue. 3dfx cards have no issue (both my Banshee and my Voodoo3 3000 in my original Pentium 3 build under DOS played the videos just fine).

Finally, when it comes to performance, my Pentium MMX 233 machine struggles a bit to run the game, whereas my old Pentium 3 machine ran and DOSBox runs the game like a champ. That's why I have just stopped trying to play the game (whenever I want to - it's the hardest NFS game in the whole series IMO) on real hardware, and have just instead opted to play it to DOSBox, mounting the game's ISO image using Alcohol 120%. I have had no issues. Just make sure your "machine" is set to "svga_et4000" in your DOSBox config file, as the other options don't work properly/don't display the in-game videos.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 24 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the_ultra_code wrote on 2020-05-16, 21:35:
My two cents. […]
Show full quote

My two cents.

I bought years ago a boxed-copy, still-shrink-rapped copy of TNFS:SE, and I have found it to be one hell of a game to get to work, even on older systems.

First of all, the Windows version is worse than the DOS version in terms of performance. On my Pentium MMX 233 machine with a 3dfx PCI Voodoo Banshee, I have installed the game both under DOS 6.22 and WIndows 95 OSR2.5, and just from playing the game under either OS, playing it under DOS is just smoother.

And that's if you can even install the game under Windows. The game basically requires 95 - it does not work under Windows 98SE, at least you can't install it. Although I swear as a child I remember playing it under XP... I was too young to clearly remember anything.

And another thing - getting the in-game videos to work is also a bit challenging. Some video cards won't display the in-game videos, while others have no issue. 3dfx cards have no issue (both my Banshee and my Voodoo3 3000 in my original Pentium 3 build under DOS played the videos just fine).

Finally, when it comes to performance, my Pentium MMX 233 machine struggles a bit to run the game, whereas my old Pentium 3 machine ran and DOSBox runs the game like a champ. That's why I have just stopped trying to play the game (whenever I want to - it's the hardest NFS game in the whole series IMO) on real hardware, and have just instead opted to play it to DOSBox, mounting the game's ISO image using Alcohol 120%. I have had no issues. Just make sure your "machine" is set to "svga_et4000" in your DOSBox config file, as the other options don't work properly/don't display the in-game videos.

The setup is too bad for Windows OS, and the videos may be tricky to run.
Also the sound were problematic too. In the game s readme, they just mentioned you need a DSound compatible card, many are not as goog as the ones mentioned for DOS. This gives very bad performance on many cards. Apart from this there was constant sound stuttering on newer and older sound cards for the cards released 2 years later or before prior to the game.

Reply 25 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote on 2020-05-16, 20:49:

There are plenty of games out there with unofficial patches that were developed without access to the source code.

I dont think anybody will do that. The game is buggy on Windows siie its released and people are already good with the DOS version.

Reply 26 of 77, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there were as many patches for NFSSE as there are for NFSIISE, or at least one fan-made aside the ACT and DXWND profiles, it wouldn't be that tricky to run it. Too bad OpenNFS1 was incomplete and incompatible with MS Framework above 4.5.

Reply 27 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On windows 10 2004, the 0xc000005 problem still exists. So I would like to finalize that the only way to run this game is when your GPU and driver agree. A same driver with a different GPU has different results as I have noticed.

Reply 28 of 77, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-31, 11:03:

On windows 10 2004, the 0xc000005 problem still exists. So I would like to finalize that the only way to run this game is when your GPU and driver agree. A same driver with a different GPU has different results as I have noticed.

That's interesting. I'd appreciate if we all post our results here including the combination of OS, GPU and drivers.
Mine:
Win7 64 bits
GTX460
Failed to run with every possible fix, including DxWnd.

Reply 29 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-05-31, 17:20:
That's interesting. I'd appreciate if we all post our results here including the combination of OS, GPU and drivers. Mine: Win7 […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-31, 11:03:

That's interesting. I'd appreciate if we all post our results here including the combination of OS, GPU and drivers.
Mine:
Win7 64 bits
GTX460
Failed to run with every possible fix, including DxWnd.

Win10 64 bit/ Win 7 64 bit/ Win 8.1 64 bit/Win XP 32 bit
GT 710
Runs the game with DxWnd, and compatibility fixes with ACT works only on XP

Win 10 64 bit/ Win 7 64 bit/Win 8.1 64 bit/ Win XP 32 bit[VM]
GTX 1050Ti
VMware Tools 11.0.x
Runs the game with DxWnd, and compatibility fixes with ACT works only on XP

Win 10 64 bit
GTX 1050Ti
445.87/446.14
Crashes with 0xc000005 error. No fixes work.

Reply 31 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-06-01, 17:29:

Quite curious. Never seen anything like this before.

The common thing when the game ran was that, my VM used 3 cores and my secondary PC used 2 cores. The PC where it didnt work had 6 cores

Reply 32 of 77, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-06-02, 04:48:

The common thing when the game ran was that, my VM used 3 cores and my secondary PC used 2 cores. The PC where it didnt work had 6 cores

NFSSE has some issues with multicores, but SingleProcAffinity is supposed to fix it. It ran in my old Core2Quad without it but randomly crashed. The flag fixed the crashes but made it stutter a lot.

Reply 33 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-06-02, 14:52:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-06-02, 04:48:

NFSSE has some issues with multicores, but SingleProcAffinity is supposed to fix it. It ran in my old Core2Quad without it but randomly crashed. The flag fixed the crashes but made it stutter a lot.

I think the game should detect less than 3 cores, or else singleprocaffinity won't even work. This is what I observed. On my 3 core and 2 core PC, SingleProcAffinitt by DxWnd fixed the thinf. This setting didn't work in my 6 core machine.

Also I should mention that the game has a DDERR_GENERIC error in log file so I thing the game has some issues in DirectX processing on 1 cored

Reply 34 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried out this on a Win7 64 bit VM again with 6 cores , 3gb vram and 16gigs of ram.
The game ran this time too.

The only difference between host and VM was 1gb vram and drivers

Reply 35 of 77, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strangely, the Windows installer started to work again, but it crashes when the process is almost done. However, it's able to play sound and video through the process. The game itself still doesn't launch.

Reply 36 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-06-13, 15:08:

Strangely, the Windows installer started to work again, but it crashes when the process is almost done. However, it's able to play sound and video through the process. The game itself still doesn't launch.

On WIndows 7, it seems strange. BTW you probably used that .sdb fix.

Reply 38 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-06-13, 15:39:

Yes, the .sdb was needed. I wish OpenNFS1 were still in active development.

I tried out again, with the .SDB and I got a init.graphics error on my main machine.

The game kept crashing even while using DxWnd. Another thing I tried is dgVoodoo and I used the debug version and the debug log reported it found the game using D3D 10.1 😐

I downloaded OllyDbg to examine the executable and found two files missing umpdc.dll and msctf.dll

I have not done any debugging and so I don't know what to do next. I don't have debugging knowledge, and if you know then you could check it yourself once.