VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used not to be able to run GK3 on my XP - I got a "Fatal Exception" of some sort. I came to this forum, and no one could help me. But I now found out why this happened - a certain DVD related file got in the way of GK3. Everyone who is also having this problem should create a BAT file in the folder where you installed GK3 and put the following 3 lines in it:

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpeg2dmx.ax mpeg2dmx.axe
GK3.exe
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpeg2dmx.axe mpeg2dmx.ax

You get the drill - rename the file so it isn't rexognized any more, therefore not bothering anymore, launch the game, and when the game's done rename the file back.

I hope someone else finds this useful!

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 1 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or - with less assumptions about the setup:

rename "%SystemRoot%\system32\mpeg2dmx.ax" mpeg2dmx.axe
GK3.exe
rename "%SystemRoot%\system32\mpeg2dmx.axe" mpeg2dmx.ax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 2, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having a different problem. When I try to execute the game I get an error saying that it cannot find directory "." ! I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I even deleted everything I could find in the registry related to GK3 and installed in the default directory. I did notice from googling that someone else had this problem, but he never got an answer. What is the problem?

I am using Windows XP (of course, why else would I have a problem) and using a 1.6 duo centrino processor with an Intel Graphics Video card.