VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kneesnap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run a Frogger modding community.
Frogger's Adventures is an old game which I'd like to get working on modern machines, as do many of our community members.

I tried installing the game on Windows 10 with the real discs I played 15ish years ago, but unfortunately the game crashes upon startup.
It creates the fullscreen window for the game, ie my screen turns black and changes resolution, but then the game unexpectedly closes with no further information.

My first instinct was to open it up in IDA, but it seems like its SecuROM DRM is screwing with IDA's debugger, and I'm not sure the error I'm getting is correct.
My assembly skills are admittedly also not very advanced. I've done basic patches and reverse engineering, but I'm posting here because I think this is outside of my current skillset.

The game is available for download on places like the wayback machine, which also include a patch to bypass SecuROM, though it didn't seem to make debugging easier. (I was unable to find the rules, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to directly link it or not)

I'm wondering if anyone here has any tips, or would even be generous enough to help debug the error which causes the crash.
Thanks!

Side Note: I also tried this in a Windows XP VM, but that failed too. I know this game worked on Windows XP, because that was the computer I played it on way back when.

Reply 1 of 2, by Kneesnap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been a few months, and it took a lot of work, but, we've managed to make a patch to make the game work on Windows 10. The problems we had to fix were much worse than I originally thought.

The source code / download for the patch is available here:
https://highwayfrogs.net/thread/59/run-on-windows-7-10

Reply 2 of 2, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kneesnap wrote on 2020-08-13, 22:22:

It's been a few months, and it took a lot of work, but, we've managed to make a patch to make the game work on Windows 10. The problems we had to fix were much worse than I originally thought.

The source code / download for the patch is available here:
https://highwayfrogs.net/thread/59/run-on-windows-7-10

Awesome!

BTW, since you asked, rules: ucp.php?mode=terms

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto