USNF '97

Topic actions

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I have been able to run this game successfully on any Windows up to XP, but not properly in 7. My fixes for Fighters Anthology and ATF Gold somehow doesn't fully affect USNF '97. With or without SingleProcAffinity+Shrinker the mouse is laggy and there's a huge delay in the keyboard response. Enabling or Disabling the existing profile in ACT also has no effect. Has anyone been able to fix this?

Reply 1 of 12, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-06-22, 00:45:

Hello,
I have been able to run this game successfully on any Windows up to XP, but not properly in 7. My fixes for Fighters Anthology and ATF Gold somehow doesn't fully affect USNF '97. With or without SingleProcAffinity+Shrinker the mouse is laggy and there's a huge delay in the keyboard response. Enabling or Disabling the existing profile in ACT also has no effect. Has anyone been able to fix this?

I didnt actually own the game, but did you try a different DX dll, like a different dplay, ddraw, d3dim??

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

PC SPECS:-
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC Edition
RAM: 8GB*2 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450M
PSU: Corsair VX550
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892

Reply 5 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-07-04, 23:25:

haveyou tried DGvoodoo? i use it to run USNF 97 in windows 10 with no problems - DXwnd will probably get it running also,

Thank you, it ran perfectly! Still a bit fast though, but fiddling with dgvoodoo will probably get it right.

Reply 6 of 12, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cool - yes i decided also to go back and look at my settings and i was initially using the timing settings to get the frame rate limited and that worked before but no i have tried a setting which works better i think

firstly i had to set the render mode to SDL in the directx tab, then set the ddraw limit interface to 5 in the directx 2 tab, and also set the v-sync to ON, and in timing i ticked the CPU slow down box.
i set the compat on the USNF.exe to windows7, disable fullscreen optimization, and run as admin.
i also stuck Narzouls DDraw.dll in the game folder too
i also patched USNF to version 1.4 (it comes in a folder on teh USNF CDrom i have - the classics collection release)

i am not sure if all of htis is necessary, its just what i have done and what seems to produce a good result with the game speed being normal

Reply 7 of 12, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-07-05, 16:44:
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-07-04, 23:25:

haveyou tried DGvoodoo? i use it to run USNF 97 in windows 10 with no problems - DXwnd will probably get it running also,

Thank you, it ran perfectly! Still a bit fast though, but fiddling with dgvoodoo will probably get it right.

can you get it slower with Cheat Engine

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 8 of 12, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW
SO here is the deal with USNF'97

The Game has Speed problems, also it never had a NoCD patch like its older brother FA, in fact the http://jkpeterson.net/fa/index.php has full resources for it.
You may fix it with DgVoodoo2, Same goes to ATF which is more stable.

but Jane's FA is another beast, it works perfectly with its native resolution, but forcing to higher res with dgvoodoo2 causes black flickering.
They were working with higher res hacking but there were no news about it lately.

Reply 9 of 12, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes FA seems much easier to get working right - i have gotten USNF97 now going nicely with dxwnd - and it seems so far if i just switch on the directx2/vsync and the wait for verticalblank it seems to be working better than using the timing settings - i have though selected cpu slow down in the timing section

Reply 11 of 12, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-07-11, 15:42:

Yes, they were also working on 1024x768 cockpits for FA but still nothing so far.

What about 640x480, and did you try downclocking your CPU speed. I know it sounds useless, but downclocking helps in some games, unless someone actyally makes a program to use downclocked cpu speed in games

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 12 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-07-12, 04:28:
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-07-11, 15:42:

Yes, they were also working on 1024x768 cockpits for FA but still nothing so far.

What about 640x480, and did you try downclocking your CPU speed. I know it sounds useless, but downclocking helps in some games, unless someone actyally makes a program to use downclocked cpu speed in games

Yes it does make a difference. It's just that they all look so much better in 1024x768 but the lack of cockpits make a differece. There might be something at vnfawing forums but it's closed to new registrations and guests can't access most of the forum.