VOGONS

Common searches

Pc-game Dark Side Of The Moon

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

....Is it worth waiting for the FX card to come down in price, considering the fact that I have a Pentium III 450 processor? Wouldn't the FX card be overkill?
The reason for my asking is, eventually, I would like to completely upgrade my entire system, or perhaps build one. Until then, I don't want to dump a load of cash into peicemeal upgrades.
I was under the impression that I could gain a substantial improvement in video quality (especially 3D) for minimal cost by upgrading to a Ge Force 3, or a Ti 200/500 card. Am I correct in my assumption? thanks, dud

Last edited by dud716 on 2002-12-22, 17:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 61 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Processor speed doesn't matter that much. Most commands will be routed to the video card, not the CPU. Besides, when you do upgrade, you can go with the cheapest, crappiest (or "none" if you've got the option) card they've got and then swap this one in. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 62 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To see the "hot" stuff on the FX, they're going to expect you to be running more than a 450 P3.

Both will give you a big performance jump over what you have now, it's just that you'll pay a big chunk of cash for the FX.

The FX obviously will do more than the GF3, it's just that there's very little you can run now that will really use it to capacity. And when you do find something that can really use it, you can expect that demo/app/game to need more than 450 MHz.

Reply 63 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snover and Nicht,

I'm happy to report that I located drivers (3rd party) that enable realMYST to play on my system. I tried the drivers that Nicht suggested, but to no avail. I found several other 3rd party drivers and tried them all. Finally I found drivers that work.

note:....http://voodoofiles.com/3dfxhelp.asp

Download and install the Amigamerlin 2.5 for VooDoo 3/4/5 for XP...09/03/2002

Thanks for all of your help. My donation to VOGONS is on the way!

thanks, dud 😀

Reply 64 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dud, I'm glad to hear it, after this thread has curtailed to and from various different things. 😜

In any case, to bastardize Nicht's words to fit into what I said, both cards will give you great improvement, but the GFFX will work better in the long run (especially when you upgrade your CPU).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 65 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,...what began as a discussion about DSOM, and eventually ended? with a discussion about vid cards and drivers, has sadly come to a close.

I appreciate the time and effort of Colin, Nicht, Stiletto and the rest of the VOGONS members who contributed to this thread.

It's nice to know that there are folks out there that are willing to share their knowledge and expertise with the novice community for little or no compensation.

Keep in touch, if possible, and I'll do the same. If your ever in Philly, let me know, I'll buy you a cheesesteak!!!

Thanks, again, dud 😉

P.S....to any and all lurkers....don't be a dick!!!!!

DONATE TO VOGONS!!! They are here for you!!!!

Last edited by dud716 on 2002-12-24, 01:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 66 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hehe, dud, stop that, people are gonna start figuri-- I mean, THINKING that we bribe you to say things like that from a seemingly impartial third-person perspective. 😉

Anyway, we'll leave the light on for you. 😀 Closing thread: RESOLVED, RESOLVED, RESOLVED.

Yes, it’s my fault.