VOGONS

Common searches

Pc-game Dark Side Of The Moon

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dud716 wrote:

...I see that there are several GE Force Ti200 cards out there, how do I determine which card to buy?

Basically, if it says it's a GeForce3, then it's a GeForce3 Ti200. Anything beyond that will be given an extra "ID" like "Ti 500" or some other "deluxe" type ID. Just stay away from MX boards.

Reply 42 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

No, if it says it's a GeForce3, then it's a GeForce3.

Ok, I was basing this on the common availability of the Ti200 and yet most of the boxes I've seen don't specify Ti200 on them. Of course, I haven't been specifically looking for a video card for some time now. Of course, if you find a standard GF3 or GF3 Ti500 for $50, I'd grab that (except of course, that's kind of unlikely).

Reply 43 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

The dangers of static electricity are HIGHLY overrated. Just be sure to touch your power supply (while it's still plugged in, but TURNED OFF) to ground yourself to prevent shock.

One thing I missed, Do I unplug the power cord while I'm swapping the cards? I was under the impression that leaving the power cord plugged-in would cause some components to still remain 'hot', am I correct?

Reply 44 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Of course, if you find a standard GF3 or GF3 Ti500 for , I'd grab that (except of course, that's kind of unlikely).

I'm becoming confused now, GF3 Ti200 vs. GF3Ti500. What gives? Is this just a matter of price? thanks, dud p.s. What is an MX board?

Reply 45 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. Remove the cord AFTER you've grounded yourself but BEFORE you start pulling and adding components. (BTW, if you've got a switch on the power supply (not the computer's power switch!) you can just use that instead of messing with plugging and unplugging cords.)

The MX line of cards are cheap stripped-down cards with none of the functionality of the GF3. (Pixel programmers, etc.) DON'T BUY THEM.

GeForce3 Ti200 is the "budget line". Costs less than the regular GeForce3 for a moderate decrease in performance.
GeForce3 is the regular card. "The original."
GeForce3 Ti500 is the "performance line". Costs more than the regular GeForce3 for a moderate increase in performance.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 47 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They're everywhere, seriously. Just look for GeForce3 and a cheap price (less than $100). I went to Google (which went to bizrate.com) and searched for "price GeForce 3". Found Ti200's for as low as $59, saw a Ti500 for $87 (you can ignore the one Xtasy 6964 with the price glitch, I can assure that $3281.53 is NOT the correct price. Heh).

BTW, did you try the "homemade" XP drivers for your Voodoo? Since your card already has 16 Megs, it might allow you to try out realMYST now. If you don't like the way they perform, you can always do a driver rollback.

Reply 48 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht....I did not attempt to use the drivers that you sent me, not yey anyhow. How do I install them? do I have to uninstall the current drivers? How? In order to install the "new drivers" from the site, I must first download, then install. However, I'm not sure how to uninstall the 'existing' drivers. Second, If this fix doesn't work, how do I do a 'driver rollback'? thanks, dud... gobble, gobble..

Reply 49 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dud716 wrote:

Nicht....I did not attempt to use the drivers that you sent me,...

Err...I presume you mean the driver links I provided, as I didn't send you any drivers.

How do I install them?

Either by a setup program (or script) that comes with the drivers or by going to the Device Manager, finding the entry for your video card and choosing "update Driver".

IOW, Go to Start menu,

Start-->Control Panel-->System-->Hardware (tab)-->Device Manager-->Display Adapters-->Your Video card-->Driver (tab)-->Update Driver then point that at the (unzipped) driver files (Install from a specific location).

While you're there, notice the "Roll Back Driver" button. That's what you click if you change your mind (it automatically goes back to your previous video driver).

If for some reason you can't seen your display afterwards, you can reboot and hit the F8 key at startup and choose "safe mode". Then proceed to "roll back" the driver, then shutdown and restart.

do I have to uninstall the current drivers?

No.

Reply 50 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht,...I went to voodoo files.com and downlaoded the following:
3dhq Voodoo3 Windows 2000/XP drivers 1.09 Beta 7
The latest, best drivers for Voodoo 3 cards under Windows 2000 or XP.

These are the steps that I followed:
1.) Uninstall realMYST.
2.) disable anti-virus.
3.) install "new" drivers from "voodoo files"
(....3dhq 1.09 Beta 7)
4.) shut down, and reboot.
5.) reinstall realMYST.
6.) attempt to open the game......nothing happens.
7.) I even tried changing the compatibility, again nothing happens.

Because of time constraints, (it's f#$@ 'n turkey day), I have'nt been able to try the drivers from the "other" site. I have a question, ....are the drivers from the two sites identical? If not, perhaps I should try the drivers from the other site. I'll give them a try when I get the chance. Any ideas?
.......P.S. from what you have found, should my Voodoo 3 AGP card work for realMYST, and other 3D games as well? .....thanks, dud

Last edited by dud716 on 2002-11-29, 00:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dud716 wrote:

These are the steps that I followed:
1.) Uninstall realMYST.
2.) disable anti-virus.

Well, uninstalling the game shouldn't be necessary, but disabling the antivirus during an install is a good idea.

6.) attempt to open the game......nothing happens.

Is this the full game or the playable demo? I know the demo had a separate configuration program that you need to run before running the game (realMYSTSetup.exe)

Because of time constraints, (it's f#$@ 'n turkey day),..

Just be thankful it's not "Living Under the Scourge of a Maniacal Dictatorship Day".

....are the drivers from the two sites identical?

Other than trying them out, that's hard to tell. All 3D drivers for XP are "homemade", so there's no certainty about any of them.

...should my Voodoo 3 AGP card work for realMYST, and other 3D games as well?

Should work for most titles that need a Glide/D3D/OpenGL card with 16Megs of memory or less (presuming they don't require specific hardware <like Hardware Transform-and-Lighting> or Direct-X 8 specific features).

Reply 52 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht,......thanks for the info...I'm away from my computer, so I'll need a few days...I'll try installing the drivers from the other site when I get back in town.
The game is entitled: REAL MYST (The Ultimate Director's Cut, in Realtime 3D.) It is the full game. ...and it cost me $4.50 + tax at Staples.

Last edited by dud716 on 2002-11-30, 22:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 66, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

I have realMYST Test (Different from the demo?) and it will happily play on my shit-ass computer (see profile) using Glide under Win98SE. Sure, it's at 800x600@16bit, but it works - at maybe 30 fps. 😉

I even have a screenshot around here to prove it. I forget where... on my hard drive at home, I think... I'll get it later...

realMYST Test
Version 1.2 for 95 / 98 / 2000 / ME

Settings:
3D Hardware - Glide
3dfx Interactive [Glide]
Screen Resolution - 800x600 16 bit
Texture Quality - Medium
Mouse Options - Default
Movement Options - Default
DirectSound3D - Enabled

Attachments

• Filename
    realmyst.png
    File size
    234.84 KiB
    Downloads
    233 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 58 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht, Snover, et al, Happy Holidays!

I just came back from a computer show and sale, in search of a cheap (inexpensive Ge Force 3 Ti 200 card. I thought for sure that I would find one, but alas, everybody is now selling Ge Force 4 cards, and they are mostly all MX cards to boot!

I've got a few tricks left, after that, I'll go online and see if I can find one for cheap.

I'll keep in touch, 'til then, have a Happy New Year!

thanks, dud

Reply 59 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't bother. Seriously. Save your money and wait for a GeForce FX. It'll be worth it. 😀
Even if you don't want to wait, I wouldn't get a Ti200. Get a regular GeForce3.

Oh, and a note on the DVD of DSOM: I believe that it was poorly mastered, in that both drives I've run it on (that were on processors slow enough to handle the game) have had trouble playing video and switching between videos smoothly, whereas the CD-ROMs did not manifest this problem.

Yes, it’s my fault.