VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I have a problem running NFS Undercover. Namely, I cannot get past the loading screen after I select my profile - the game freezes without any warning message and I have to kill the process in Task Manager. This happens on both Origin and DVD version updated to 1.0.18. The game runs fine on patch 1.0.17, but this version lacks the Challenge Series mode.

I found a similar problem on PCGamingWiki and tried the suggested solution (limiting number of cores to 4) but it didn't work. I also tried running it with ThirteenAG's Generic Fix but it didn't help either.

Any ideas, guys?

My specs:
i7-8700k
GeForce 1080
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64

Reply 1 of 7, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried turning off hyperthreading in the bios ?
Save the following as RunMe.cmd and put it in the same folder as the game exe then double click on it to run the game

@start /affinity 1 nfs.exe

assuming nfs.exe is the correct name

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 7, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for the quick response 😀

Davros wrote on 2020-08-09, 01:59:

Have you tried turning off hyperthreading in the bios ?

No, but to be honest I'd rather not compromise the performance of my PC for the sake of one game (which isn't even that good to begin with...). Also changing the setting each time I play the game sounds like a bit of an overkill.

Davros wrote on 2020-08-09, 01:59:

Save the following as RunMe.cmd and put it in the same folder as the game exe then double click on it to run the game

@start /affinity 1 nfs.exe

assuming nfs.exe is the correct name

Unfortunately it didn't work. Neither does making the game use one core only in Task Manager. I also tried patching nfs.exe with imagecfg.

Reply 3 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could you try with a new game, sometimes the version miht be incomoatible, you may want to have a backup of the savegame first.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tgomola wrote on 2020-08-12, 09:02:

Tried it, the game still freezes 🙁

Check event viewer for the crash,.and what's the fault

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 7 of 7, by Squall Leonhart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tgomola wrote on 2020-09-13, 22:56:

I have figured it out.
The issue was indeed the number of cores. I used Special K tool to spoof the number of cores - now the game thinks there's only 2 and runs like a charm!

Case closed!

i'm guessing you found a no-cd crack for this, the legitimate protected exe will abort on trying to start with specialk present. I see the latest versions patch around the crash issue, but generic patch can't work with the updated version.

indeed, the origin copy, and unofficial steam patch both fail to load in a networking function connected to punkbuster when more than 8 logical cores are present, this means even alderlake and 12+ core ryzen are affected without SMT enabled.