VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dee-Dee wrote on 2020-08-20, 14:50:
UCyborg wrote on 2020-08-19, 20:08:

There is another bug that exists in all OS from 10 down to XP, possibly on older systems as well. If you pause CD playback via MCI then query its status, you'll get back "stopped" instead of "paused".

DxWnd emulates the bug by default, but has an option to enable proper behavior - "Emulate CD pause capability".

It has worked that way since Win9x so if it is a bug it is a really old one. In any case it seems to have no practical effect since after MCI_PAUSE the music can be resumed from where it left with the following MCI_PLAY command. The fact that the mode says "stopped" instead of really being "paused" may indeed be an oversight but the logic seems to work otherwise.

This problem exists in Grim Fandango and Interstate 76. The music actually stops there, instead of pausing. For Grim Fandango, setting options for MCI Audio in DxWnd doesn't help. It sometimes hold the music then it stops playing anymore.
Another thing I noticed is that some games don't play the next music after 1 is over.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

PC SPECS:-
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC Edition
RAM: 8GB*2 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450M
PSU: Corsair VX550
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892

Reply 21 of 24, by Dee-Dee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-24, 08:20:

For Grim Fandango, setting options for MCI Audio in DxWnd doesn't help. It sometimes hold the music then it stops playing anymore.

The two CD box set I have of Grim Fandango does not have cd music tracks. The music is instead played digitally from files as far as I can tell.

Reply 22 of 24, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dee-Dee wrote on 2020-09-24, 12:51:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-24, 08:20:

For Grim Fandango, setting options for MCI Audio in DxWnd doesn't help. It sometimes hold the music then it stops playing anymore.

The two CD box set I have of Grim Fandango does not have cd music tracks. The music is instead played digitally from files as far as I can tell.

Strange, the music stops at menu. I decided to turn on the emulate cd pause capability and some other related options in DxWnd. Suprisingly it holds the music but not when you go one further step in menu. The music sometimes glitches and buffers. Not sure why but that MCI setting has effects.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 23 of 24, by Dee-Dee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-25, 04:31:

Strange, the music stops at menu. I decided to turn on the emulate cd pause capability and some other related options in DxWnd. Suprisingly it holds the music but not when you go one further step in menu. The music sometimes glitches and buffers. Not sure why but that MCI setting has effects.

I tested Grim Fandango and the issue is not related in any way to cdaudio or MCI_PAUSE capability. The game mutes all sounds if you access the main menu (F1) key.

You can fix it by patching the game to v1.1. The patch is available at the ResidualVM web site under "Extras downloads":
https://www.residualvm.org/downloads/

It's basically a timing issue. Running in single core affinity may also help...

Reply 24 of 24, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dee-Dee wrote on 2020-09-25, 21:44:
I tested Grim Fandango and the issue is not related in any way to cdaudio or MCI_PAUSE capability. The game mutes all sounds if […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-25, 04:31:

I tested Grim Fandango and the issue is not related in any way to cdaudio or MCI_PAUSE capability. The game mutes all sounds if you access the main menu (F1) key.

You can fix it by patching the game to v1.1. The patch is available at the ResidualVM web site under "Extras downloads":
https://www.residualvm.org/downloads/

It's basically a timing issue. Running in single core affinity may also help...

I fixed it, thanks.

Btw I found Midtown Madness and MM2 using CD Audio and MM sound pauses in Pause Menu. MM2 music doesn't work at all but Audio is playable on WMP. I think it has that issue seeing similar MCI_PLAY problem for MM

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs