VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by overdev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I try to run the old game Largo Winch from 2002. It's not possible at all to run the setup on Windows 10 64bit
so I installed VirtualBox with Windows XP, installed the VirtalBox Drivers.

The Settings of the game before I start it forces you to have a graphics card. It displays the Nvidis 6800
but when I try to launch the game, it crashes. DirectX9.0c is also installed.

The famous "LargoWinch.exe encountered a problem and needs to close" appears.
I even tried the nocd exe but that also doesn't work.

Does somebody know how to fix that?

Reply 1 of 3, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
overdev wrote on 2020-08-23, 15:04:
Hi. […]
Show full quote

Hi.

I try to run the old game Largo Winch from 2002. It's not possible at all to run the setup on Windows 10 64bit
so I installed VirtualBox with Windows XP, installed the VirtalBox Drivers.

The Settings of the game before I start it forces you to have a graphics card. It displays the Nvidis 6800
but when I try to launch the game, it crashes. DirectX9.0c is also installed.

The famous "LargoWinch.exe encountered a problem and needs to close" appears.
I even tried the nocd exe but that also doesn't work.

Does somebody know how to fix that?

Games aren't supposed to be run on VM. Is the setup 16 bit, if yes then try otvdm. If it's 32 bit and doesn't work, try compatibility on win xp

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 3, by overdev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well how else should I run an older game that doesn't work at all on Windows 10?
I really don't want to install XP as a separate OS. Also I don't think my RTX 2080 driver will support XP.

In the game options before I start the game it says "Display: 1152x864x32 bit" so I think it's 32 bit.
I can't find any way to figure out if it's 16 or 32 bit. There isn't any information about that in the properties of the exe.

Compatiblity mode didn't change anything sadly.

/Edit
Okay I found a dumb workaround. I just took the installed game from the VM and copied the folder on my proper PC and it works >.>

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game likely uses a 16bit installer which doesn't work on 64bit. You can replace the setup.exe, unpack the compressed files, run the installer in boxedwine, virtualbox, etc and then copy to your host.

Try to stay away from running games that require a GPU inside of a VM, run them on the host if you can.

If you installed Windows XP on your host (don't do that unless you know what you are doing), the latest Nvidia card compatible with XP (and even then you had to add the strings) was a 980Ti and similar architecture. You'd only be able to use the 2080TI in XP using VESA. The 3D part of the card would be inaccessible.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline