VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.

Does anyone have a practical (read: simple) solution for getting the original Age of Empires to run on Windows 10? I've tried everything I can think of, including *EVERY* compatibility switch, but it apparently keeps getting hung up when doing the security check (cloclspl.exe).

I'd really rather not have to go to the extreme of DOSBox or something similar ...

Last edited by jspyder on 2020-09-19, 17:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 23, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops, my bad. It's actually AoE 2 Conqueror's Expansion.

Before you say "look at other answers in the forums," that's the first thing I did. The only thing that gave me any hope of actually solving the problem was a No CD patch, which didn't work. (I get a tiny window with a red circle and X, and nothing else.)

I'd be willing to try another No CD patch, if someone can provide me a *working* one ...

Reply 4 of 23, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See if this is what you need

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 23, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it *was* working ...

I discovered while playing the tutorials (to refresh myself on game play) that it was apparently needing the 1.0c update, so I downloaded and installed it.

Now I'm getting a "Please insert the correct CD" error, or it refuses to launch (which is what was happening originally).

Apparently, the patch that was provided (the No CD patch) doesn't allow for the update ... ?

Does anyone maybe have a No CD patch that also contains the 1.0c update?

Reply 7 of 23, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jspyder wrote on 2020-09-19, 04:13:
Well, it *was* working ... […]
Show full quote

Well, it *was* working ...

I discovered while playing the tutorials (to refresh myself on game play) that it was apparently needing the 1.0c update, so I downloaded and installed it.

Now I'm getting a "Please insert the correct CD" error, or it refuses to launch (which is what was happening originally).

Apparently, the patch that was provided (the No CD patch) doesn't allow for the update ... ?

Does anyone maybe have a No CD patch that also contains the 1.0c update?

What I did was, I installed the game, installed the patch and then paste the No CD. Sometimes patcher don't update games if exe is not same. It applied to a lot of other games too.

Reinstall the game, install the patch and paste the no CD

Reply 8 of 23, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm ... I got the game running again (such a simple solution ... boy do I feel stupid!), but I'm missing an upgrade patch somewhere ...

There was (back in the day) a patch that allowed for more than 11 queued farm restocks at a mill ... I thought it was 1.0c, but apparently not.

Does anyone know which patch it was, and where I might get that?

Reply 9 of 23, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jspyder wrote on 2020-09-19, 05:06:

Hmmm ... I got the game running again (such a simple solution ... boy do I feel stupid!), but I'm missing an upgrade patch somewhere ...

There was (back in the day) a patch that allowed for more than 11 queued farm restocks at a mill ... I thought it was 1.0c, but apparently not.

Does anyone know which patch it was, and where I might get that?

Here: https://www.patches-scrolls.com/age_of_empire … _conquerors.php

Reply 11 of 23, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jspyder wrote on 2020-09-19, 06:09:

I have and ran the 1.0c update, but after replacing the .exe with the No CD version it doesn't give me the expanded farm queue ... ?

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/914421-a … ansion/65962452

Is it what you need. There is a trick that would give more farm queue, perhaps a glitch

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2020-09-19, 18:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the Version 1.0b Patch Readme:

C. Enhancements […]
Show full quote

C. Enhancements

Open ground is always green on the mini map, even on snow or sand terrain.

Black Forest is no longer an option if you select Random Map or Land Random.

Farms can be queued to 40.

You can download the Version 1.0b Patch here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010813092101/ht … loads.asp?f1=no
Good luck!

Also, you need to edit the thread title to properly reflect the game you mean. It doesn't help people down the road if it refers to the wrong game name.

Reply 15 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While the English link does redirect, the download does work. I didn't try the non-English links since you didn't specify a language.

So what language version are you looking for? Unless you can find some sort of non-English fan site, you may be out of luck.

Reply 16 of 23, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-19, 06:15:

I have and ran the 1.0c update, but after replacing the .exe with the No CD version it doesn't give me the expanded farm queue ... ?

Is it what you need. There is a trick that would give more farm queue, perhaps a glitch

You checked this out?

Reply 17 of 23, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:19:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-19, 06:15:

You checked this out?

That's not it - what I remember is a patch where you can go in normally and queue up more farm restocks than the 15 the game originally allowed.

Reply 18 of 23, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:17:

While the English link does redirect, the download does work. I didn't try the non-English links since you didn't specify a language.

So what language version are you looking for? Unless you can find some sort of non-English fan site, you may be out of luck.

I tried both English links, but it said the site had not been archived at the Wayback Machine archive.

Reply 19 of 23, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:17:

The link you provided goes to the Wayback Machine web archive. When you click on the English links, it says the target web page was not archived.