VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by harryshuman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am attempting to install Windows 98 SE and for whatever reason it fails to run setup.

At first I was using a SATA SSD in legacy mode, which Windows 98 SE boot CD detected just fine. I was able to run fdisk and format C:. However, after that it was just black screen. I should mention DVD-Drive was also SATA.

I also tried multiple variations on the procedure, running boot from USB, loading setup onto the formatted C drive and running it from there. In both cases, setup results in nothing but black screen.

Using the built-in automatic installer yields the same result. After formatting, I reboot, press "Continue installation" and screen goes blank.

I fully realize SATA could be an issue, however, I swapped the SSD for an IDE SD card adapter, and the DVD-Drive for an ancient IDE CD-Drive. Changed the BIOS options to PATA only - same result, nothing but void on the screen.

Neither hard drive or CD/DVD drives show any activity during this time.

Hardware I use:
Intel D915PCY motherboard.
PCI-e Geforce 6200 LE
512Mb of RAM

I fully realize SATA isn't supported out of the box in Windows 98 SE, but my understanding that legacy mode would be sufficient to get it to work (albeit very slowly).

I also understand that PCI-e isn't supported either and this could be the issue that causes black screen during installation, but I find it strange that DOS uses it just fine.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 2, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like VGA error. The same happens with most nvidia cards above tnt1 and radeon cards with post-1999 chipsets... put some pci s3 trio in, that solved me. (if your computer is capable to boot with pci graphi cards.) If you cant boot from pci card, setup win98 on a virtual machine, and copy the image to a real hard disk later.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html