VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if this is the good place or even the information is of some use.
I had:Processor AMD Athlon 2000+;512Mb RAM-DDR;Video:3D Prophet IIMX -Hercules-NVidia;Motherboard:MSI SIS 745;Sound:Creative 128;HDD 40 Gm;HDD 20 GM;CDRW -DVD ROM-LG-16x-32x10x40x.With Win XP Pro SP2.
I put it working with Win 98SE.And bought a new one:
Processor AMD 64 -3000+GHz 2.0;1Gm RAM -DDR400;Motherboard:ASRock K8 Upgrade-760GX;Video:Radeon 9200;DVD RW-LG16x;DVDROM;HDD 160 Gm;Sound:on board;LAN:on board.With the same Win XP Pro SP2.
CaesarIII(1998)no longer installs:said it can do it.SMAC(1998)installs,but recommend not to run it because doesn't support the processor.So,I didn't try Imperialism I or CIV II.
Younger games,as CIV III and Age of Wonders II,run better and more beautiful.Dos box runs much better;only MoM runs slowly,but so it was with DOS and its time machine (486DX2,I suppose).
Is that the said incompatibility begins,not with the new system,but with the hardware?
Best regards,

just younger than computers

Reply 1 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using the alpha of Windows XP 64-bit, be aware that 16-bit code can no longer execute. That means that many installers will be broken, such as the installer for Caesar 3.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 6, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snover:
I didn't change the system,just the hardware.
And I was told that the processor is able to run the new system,when it comes.
Best regards,

Reply 4 of 6, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,I will try explain myself better (not easy task,knowing little of english and nothing of computers):
In the AMD Athlon I had Windows XP Pro SP2.
Now in the AMD Athlon I have Windows 98SE and in the AMD 64 I have Windows XP Pro SP2.The things I told (and that look to me identical to what I have read in the forum about the new system)happen in the AMD64 with Windows XP Pro SP2.
Best regards,

Reply 5 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A little note on 64-bit Windows -- it is well beyond the alpha stage. RC1 was released last month.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

shouldn't code from ms be considered alpha code all the time ?
just see the amount of bugs it has.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!