VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I recently got a Diamond Monster 3D 4mb up and running in an old Pentium 133 machine and was super excited to take advantage of my card with Quake 1 and Tomb Raider. I know both look pretty great with this card in particular. Unfortunately I learned pretty quickly that these games don't run off the voodoo card fresh out of the box and need GLquake and some kind of patch for Tomb Raider to take advantage of the hardware. I unfortunately haven't had any success getting 2 different IDE CD drives to read CD-R discs and so don't have a great method of transferring data from my regular computer to my p133.

I've done a little bit of research and have found IDE to USB connectors/adaptors but I'm super unfamiliar with how this works. Would this be the best method to get GLquake and other patches onto the p133? Can somebody give me an idea of how to use these things? Do they plug directly into the HDD? Can someone recommend me a reliable one that would work properly? There's a bunch of different ones on Amazon, I don't wanna waste my money.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Reply 1 of 4, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a free pci slot? A usb card would help alot. And for the cd drives make sure they are properly set as Master with the jumpers. EDIT: nm, read your post wrong, make sure to burn the CD-R's and DVD-R's at the lowest speed possible. Another option would be a LAN card, so that way you could just transfer files that way.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 4, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hadn't heard of any kind of PCI USB card. I got 1 free PCI slot that I could try to use, I just worry it might be a bit of a headache to get to work properly. I had a hell of a time just getting the voodoo card to properly recognize.

I'll look into it though. Maybe that'd be the easiest route. Have also tried burning cd's to the lowest speed possible. A 12x ide drive and a 4x ide drive both fail to read the disc. I read something about you have to use a certain type of CD-R that'll burn thicker or something for these old drives to read. Super annoying.

Reply 3 of 4, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also if anyone can recommend any specific hardware that would be compatible with a socket 7 mobo, I'd appreciate it. There's a ton of options out there, sometimes things can be a little vague on the sellers side.

Thanks.