VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the question is in the subject: was this ever even supported to use the middle scroll with a mouse for WFW3.11? (If no other way with a 3rd party app)

It is the last member of the 3.x family so if there is a chance to be supported it must be in this version.

In the control panel there is pretty much nothing what you can set for the mouse except the speeds.

It would be nice if it would work because using Netscape Navigator without scrolling is kinda painful 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mice with scroll wheels came years after WFW 3.11 release, so they can't be supported out-of-the-box.
I don't know about any third-party software for that, but I've never been looking...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 7, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah this might be a dead-end until win 3.1 source leaks like XP and some fans decide to add this functionality. What I found is:

Turns out I was wrong, The Windows 3.1 SDK does in fact define WM_MBUTTONDOWN and WM_MBUTTONUP. No built-in applications use it, and very few other applications do either. 🙁

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.ms-window … x/c/sHbimhEvkgg

So even if I could get it work it would not work with most of the apps including the main windows, maybe there is a chance that the last Netscape or Opera for Win 3.X implemented it.

I saw some ppl recommends that A4tech mouse because it has driver, I also just running it in Vmware which can complicate the situation a bit further.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-12-27, 15:06:

Mice with scroll wheels came years after WFW 3.11 release, so they can't be supported out-of-the-box.
I don't know about any third-party software for that, but I've never been looking...

Back in the mid-90s when I used Windows 3.1 on my 286 PC I always wondered.. :
"What is that third mouse button for?"

I mean, at the time, I barely used the button on the right, even.
On my father's PC running Win95, sure.. It was used for this strange "new" context menu that could be summoned by right clicking on that desktop..

But a scroll wheel, an all-optical mouse (no ball), PS/2 (Mini-DIN) connectors.. My goodness, that was unusual to me.
I mean, it was not totally unheard of. But it was as rare as one of these trackball mice.
Maybe even more so, not sure.

By the time Win98 came out, *I think* mice with scroll wheels were all over the place, though.
The Microsoft IntelliMouse or how it was called seemed quite popular for a while.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gopher666 wrote on 2020-12-27, 18:49:

Turns out I was wrong, The Windows 3.1 SDK does in fact define WM_MBUTTONDOWN and WM_MBUTTONUP. No built-in applications use it, and very few other applications do either. 🙁

WM_LBUTTONDOWN, WM_MBUTTONDOWN, WM_RBUTTONDOWN, etc., are about mouse BUTTONS, not about scroll wheels.
And yes, there's at least one built-in thing that uses the middle mouse button - the Minesweeper game.
Yes, Microsoft was selling 2-button mice, while their own software was inconvenient to use without a 3-button one 😁

Anyway, any Windows software that uses the standard API for scrolling documents should work with a scroll wheel, provided that a proper mouse driver is installed.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-27, 19:22:

Back in the mid-90s when I used Windows 3.1 on my 286 PC I always wondered.. :
"What is that third mouse button for?"
I mean, at the time, I barely used the button on the right, even.

Back then I used Unix with X11, and got accustomed to using all three buttons - SELECT, ADJUST, MENU.
I still can't be happy without a 3-button mouse, while I don't care about scroll wheels.

Reply 6 of 7, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gopher666 wrote on 2020-12-27, 18:49:
Yeah this might be a dead-end until win 3.1 source leaks like XP and some fans decide to add this functionality. What I found is […]
Show full quote

Yeah this might be a dead-end until win 3.1 source leaks like XP and some fans decide to add this functionality. What I found is:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.ms-window … x/c/sHbimhEvkgg

So even if I could get it work it would not work with most of the apps including the main windows, maybe there is a chance that the last Netscape or Opera for Win 3.X implemented it.

I saw some ppl recommends that A4tech mouse because it has driver, I also just running it in Vmware which can complicate the situation a bit further.

As Grzyb has written WM_MBUTTONDOWN and WM_MBUTTONUP are not mouse wheel/scroll messages. 3rd/middle button was present earlier than wheel and even DOS drivers could handle it.

generic-generic-3-button-serial-mouse-w-pcms-switch-1.27__42370.1490198421.jpg?c=2

WM_MOUSEWHEEL is the relevant message you are looking for but it was missing from Win3x and first appeared in Win9x.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win3 … v/wm-mousewheel

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 7 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Software like CAD made use of the third button as well... The DFI DMS-200H three button serial mouse I have on my Redstone Computers 10Mhz XT Turbo has a switch on the side to go from 3 button to 2 button mode. GeoWorks Pro 1.2 has drivers for both Microsoft Mode and Mouse Systems mode for it.

Attachments

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉