VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DaveKap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, all this crap isn't necessary, but I'll type it all out anyway so I can get along with you guys.

Motherboard: Asus A8V

Processor: AMD Athlon64 3500+

RAM: 1 gig DDR

Video: Sapphire Radeon x800 Pro VIVO

Sound board: Realtek AC'97

Operating system: Windows XP

Game name: Space Bucks v1.02

Problem: When I try to run it, I get a pop-up window saying "gError = 5" with an "OK" button that I press and simply makes the window go away. Game never even starts.

Reproducibility of problem: Always

Sound mode used: Default? *shrug*

Video mode: Default (no clue) but requires 256-color to be on (which it is).

Version of emulator: No emulator used.

Steps already attempted to solve the problem: Patched it, didn't change anything. Searched far and wide across Google, which says the game is unplayable in anything BUT windows 95. I've tried creating a virtual PC but because I only have a Windows 95 UPGRADE disk, I can't install an OS on the VPC. This forum is my last ditch effort, hoping that nobody tells me to create a dual-boot system.

If anyone actually knows the solution, that person is Godly. 😁

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi Dave - you suck at the Internet (just kidding) 😁 Or perhaps I was just lucky.

I searched for "Space Bucks" and "gerror" and up came this little piece of advice (in German) (English translation).

The VMDSound thingy (which you can find here at VOGONS) primarily helps with getting prober sound from old games, but it can also help by enabling a few DOS-compatibility things in WinXP. Try it,

DOSBox (also here) is a complete (well, almost complete) DOS emulator system. It emulates everything - including the CPU and the operating system - which makes it a bit slow. But with a fast CPU like yours, it should be fine.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 6, by DaveKap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Edit: Unfortunately, no solution from either of those. When trying to run with Abandon Loader, I am lucky enough to at least get Space Bucks asking me to put my video mode into 256-color (which is nothing new) but I still get the gError = 5. When trying it with DosBox, I am told that the application can only be run under Microsoft Windows, which makes sense since the readme.txt says the minimum requirement is Windows 3.11.

Thus, I believe that the German thread is no help. 🙁 I am still stuck.

================OLD POST==================
Hahaha, no I don't suck at the internet, I just turned off foreign languages in my Google search! Thanks muchly for this fix, I'll get back to you on whether it works or not! 😁

Reply 3 of 6, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for revive old theme, but I don't want to multiply it. As I have problem with game too. 😀

So this games installed ok, and I receive some gError trash. I installed patch 1.02, problem gone, game ask about 256 colors and started...

...For fraction of second. After that it crashes with "General protection fault in module <unknown>040F:3F9ASPACEBUC". Oops.

In VPC/Win 98 everything works ok - movie started just after this point.

I suspect, problem caused by exactly this video - just as Warhammer 40k: Final Liberation. Judging by files in game directory, it must be SMACK-related video.

So I ask: is there way to force this video to play? Or, as partial solution, disable video playing at all?

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This Windows only game seems to run OK in DOSBox with Win3x installed. The gError = 5 seems to come from when the game can't find the CD drive.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I know about error 5 (I received this error just after start VPC and fixed it with config editing 😀. But there is also another error, for unpatched version, that simply won't start under XP.

Anyway, it seems, there is no solution for this smack-related errors under XP... pity... It is already third game from my collection with such "smack for video=dead game for XP" issue. I wonder, if it would be some global resolution for this...

Reply 6 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win 3x in DOSBox is a good solution. Smacker works, too. No reason to try to get it going natively in Windows. Some sort of emulator is the only solution for 64-bit Windows users, anyway.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers