VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

* Motherboard: ??? (I didn't install the hardware and WCpuid didn't help much either.) 😵
* Processor type and speed: AMD Athlon processor ~ 1202 mhz
* Amount of RAM: 256 MB
* Virtual memory: Minimum 384 MB, maximum 384 MB
* Video: Asus V9180 SE V45.23 (Geforce IV)
* Sound: No sound card (just a chip on the motherboard with no soundblaster support). 😵
* Operating system: Windows ME
* Emulator: None
* Game: Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth (version 1.00)
*Requirements to run the game: Windows 3.1 or higher, Microsoft WinG 1.0, 256 color mode, resolution 640x480.

Problem description:
I've tried to install Coktel Vision's game: "Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth" on my Windows ME system, but I don't get it to work properly. I'm running the game at 256 color mode and with a resolution of 640*480. I've also installed Microsoft WinG 1.0, because the game won't run without it.

When I try to run the game everything looks fine at first; the Sierra Logo pops up and the intro starts to play, but the game gets stuck all the time. The problem can occur anywhere in the intro, but also in the game itself. It only occured when there where spoken lines of text, but this could be just a coincidence, because there is a lot of spoken text. Today (while trying to run the game) I got a blue screen error with the following info: 0E: 0028 :C0030B66, I don't know what it means and a google search didn't help either.

Sometimes when I try to run the game, I get the following error message: "It miss 1200 Kbytes of memory ! Some Visual or sound effects will not occur. Do you want to continue ?" My computer should have more than enough memory, but this error could be related and I don't know what causes it.

Things I've tried:
-I've closed all other programs that where running at the same time as the game, but the game still got stuck.
- I've tried to change the Winram size to 0 in the MDO.DEF, but I didn't notice any difference. There are a lot of other parameters in the file I don't understand. My MDO.DEF file looks like this:

NAME:WOODRUFF
EXEC:WOODRUFF
LINE:
LANG:LG_GB
GRAPH:VGA
MOUSE:YES
SOUNDN:
SOUND:ADLIB+BLASTER+MEDIA+NOSOUND+NOMDO
JOY:NO
CDROM:YES
RAM:2400
RAMHI:2400
HARD:200
PHARLAP:YES
MPC:2
WINRAM:0

Reply 2 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a DOS version of this game? Underdogs refers to it as DOS only. but MobyGames says Windows 3.x.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Snover, I will try it out!

Dosfreak: There is no Dos version of the game; the game on the Underdogs site has a wrong label.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

*Edit*: Well, I tried it out, but the game still gets stuck.... 😵

Maybe I should change the maximum amount of virtual memory also to 256 mb to run the game, but that will cause some serious memory issues with some of my other software. 😖

I think I will try it out anyway, though..... 😢

Reply 5 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right, I also changed the maximum virtual memory to 256, but it didn't seem to work; I got the blue screen of death again while trying to play the game. 😵 I have no clue, what's causing the problem.

I searched the net for a windows (3.11 or 95) emulator for windows in the hope that could solve my problem, but I don't think there are any. At the moment I don't have enough hardrive space to change my system into a dual boot system either. I guess, I will have to play some other games first and get back to Woodruff when my system is a bit more up to date.

Reply 6 of 34, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if ME is giving trouble with this, or not. ME is not a very good OS for gaming. You could try "downgrading" your OS to Win 98 SE.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 34, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I don't know if ME is giving trouble with this, or not. ME is not a very good OS for gaming. You could try "downgrading" your OS to Win 98 SE.

A more accurate statement would have been that 'Windows Me is just a crappy OS with more problems than solutions" 😀 How Microsoft could think that grafting Windows 2000's WDM and other bits into Windows 98 was a great plan god only knows 😀

Downgrade isn't really the best plan. Although you'll encounter some compatability issues wrt games, upgrading your PC to Windows XP Home Edition (it's the cheapest version) you'll never look back as far as stability goes.

Reply 8 of 34, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Reckless wrote:

Downgrade isn't really the best plan. Although you'll encounter some compatability issues wrt games, upgrading your PC to Windows XP Home Edition (it's the cheapest version) you'll never look back as far as stability goes.

Well, WXP is certainly more stable, but as far as running old games W98SE is by far the best alternative (and it still runs the newest games). At my workplace I would certainly use only WXP, but if somebody mainly plays older games, then W98SE could be better.

Mirek

Reply 9 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure either if Windows Me is causing the problem or something else. I never heard anyone complain that the woodruff game got stuck. If it's a Windows Me problem it would be likely that more people would experience this problem, I guess.

I think I've just found some more info about my problem, though:

I tried to install a Woodruff patch today, but the game still doesn't run correctly. Now I get the message wloader.exe is causing errors in woodruff.exe. Does anyone know what wloader.exe is and where I can find it on my system? I couldn't find it on my system using the windows search function.

I did find this in Google and I think it's pretty disturbing:
Microsoft Windows Loader
wloader.exe
Added by a variant of the AGOBOT/GAOBOT WORM!

So I might have to post a message on the spyware warrior forums aswell. 😳

*Edit*: Well, I finally got some good news: I'm not infected.
The problem with the game is still the same though. 😖

Reply 10 of 34, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're assuming that there are other people who run Win Me and want to run Woodruff on it. In both cases you're looking at niche products. Me is the least used (and certainly least admired) OS Microsoft have ever released and Woodruff is a bona fida underdog 😀 So getting the two together might indeed be quite 'rare'!

Edit: Just dug out my copy of Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth (UK release, shown as V1.0). I installed it (and WinG - eek!) and after setting res to 640*480 256 colours, the game plays without any problems. I run Win2K 2000 SP4. I remember me having a love-hate relationship with this game when I got it. It's *DAMN* hard but is really off the wall and I enjoyed playing it. I can't actually remember whether I'd finished it or not though 😦

Reply 11 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah your right, it's probably a rare combination. 😢

I've just tried to run Woodruff with the "Abandon Loader" and I ticked the box: 95 compatibility. It didn't work - it crashed again. 🙁

Can anyone recommend Bochs btw? I'm considering installing windows 95 on my machine with it, but I heard it's not newbie proof. 😦

Reply 12 of 34, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
NuclearTes wrote:

Can anyone recommend Bochs btw? I'm considering installing windows 95 on my machine with it, but I heard it's not newbie proof. 😦

Not me. I was never lucky with it. Though there are people with other experience.
I would recommend trying MS Virtual PC or VMWARE etc. (they have usually *free* trials - when I used Virtual PC quite some time ago, I think there was one month trial).
One more thing: it is still possible that your problem has nothing to do with OS, but with corrupted installation/bad version of the game etc.

Mirek

Reply 13 of 34, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have recommended Virtual PC 2004 save for the fact that it will not install/run on anything older than Windows 2000 🙁

Agreed about BOCHS - unless you like pulling teeth or are good at hiding pain then it's probably not the tool for you!

Reply 14 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think the installation is corrupt. I've tried to install it several times with exactly the same results.

Last edited by NuclearTes on 2005-02-04, 10:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Weird - I have Win95 and Win98 running on Bochs. It is a long time since I installed it, but I don't remember having any special problems....

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 34, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Odd, I never had any trouble on XP, except having to change the winram= value to 0. I just tried it on my old machine that dual boots XP/Win98 SE, and in 98 it chokes on the intro. I will try experimenting more with it later on.

Reply 17 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Collector: Interesting, you're experiencing similiar problems in 98SE too. Maybe it's one of those microsoft security patches, but I don't know. I saw someone complain on another forum that his woodruff game didn't work anymore after installing Windos XP SP 2.

*Edit*
You know, If I can find a copy of windows 3.1, I might be able to play woodruff with dosbox.

*Edit*
Hmmm, Windows 95 is the oldest version of windows I have. 😵

Reply 18 of 34, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have found 3.11 in a Goodwill for a couple of bucks. I just tried Woodruff in DOSBox w/ Win3.1 and it seems to work pretty well, though I only just tried to start it.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 19 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got some news what's boggeling my mind: Woodruff does run without crashes on my dad's computer; it also has a ME operating system.

So it's probably an issue with the hardware and drivers. Woodruff was back in 1995 notorious for it's bad compatibility with hardware.