VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I know what's causing my problem. My onboard sound device (CM18738/C3DX PCI Audio Device) has no soundblaster support. I already told you the game works fine on my dad's computer, but that computer has a soundblaster sound card in it.

I already posted in this thread that I've experienced the following fatal error while playing the game: 0E : 0028 : C0030B66. I've searched the web about these errors some more and discovered code 28 means: "The drivers for this device are not installed." I also found out that problems with sound may cause Static or System Hang.

I just checked some other stuff that's supporting my theory aswell: I need Dosbox to be able to play Goblins 3, but people say it should run fine on a windows 9x or XP system. If I try to run the game on my windows ME system everything seems to work fine at first, but then I experience blue screen errors similair to the one I experienced with the woodruff game.

Reply 22 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've updated the drivers now, it still doesn't work, so it may not be the sound after all. I also installed the drivers from my chaintech motherboard again (I finally know what's in there). It was almost impossible to run the install files of the drivers. The only way I could install them was using the save mode. The last couple of days I've had to install more programs like that. So it could be that my Windows ME installation is corrupt or something, but my computer had an awful lot of crashes to endure while trying to get the game to work. I don't think I will get it to work or at least not anytime soon. My brain is drained right now....need advil. 😵

Reply 24 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

LoL!

Well, the game should be able to run on a non-corrupt Windows ME installation. However, I don't think the game will work on my windows ME system, even if I start with a fresh clean installation. It seems the game has some sort of conflict with something. Another operating system may not be able to solve that problem. All my IRQ's are occupied, my system could be optimized for disaster.

I'm very interested in Suse Linux though, but I don't want to replace my Windows ME system with it. A dual boot system would solve that issue, but I will need a bigger harddrive first. But I don't think Woodruff would run on a linux operating system. To run it you need to be able to set your color mode to 256 colors, because anything else is not regonized. I didn't see an option in someone elses Suse Linux OS, to set it to 256 colors and Wine doesn't seem to have any features to change the color mode, anything else is probably too technical for me.

And I'm not planning to buy Windows XP; microsoft is evil... 😁

Now I want to thank everyone for there comments and help in this thread. At this point, I think it's best to install a bigger harddrive and try to tidy things up a bit before I try to run the game again.

Reply 25 of 34, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

eL_PuSHeR : he resisted previous persuation to ditch Me 😀

And now he's considering a jump to a non Windows platform! 🤣 that'd be much more compatible with games 😉

Microsoft is only as evil as you make out. Without Microsoft you wouldn't be playing the games you do. Enjoy your Linux m8! BTW I do hate people coming up with crap about Microsoft that's without any basis of fact. Yeah they've done some really shitty things in the past (and will continue to do them in the future) but they're really no worse than any other company would be in the same position. All big corporations are run by bean counters who don't care much for the average punter. MS gets a lot of stick but people don't help themselves by continuing to use crappy outdated operating system software such as Me.

/rant over 😀

Reply 26 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm only exaggerating, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I know microsoft is trying hard to write a better OS right now, but they've had a lot of setbacks. I don't know if it would be a wise decision to buy XP at this time, because it may be outdated pretty soon too. I do think it would be good for the market to stimulate the compitition a bit aswell. If microsoft would create a really great product I would still buy it. I'm not going on a campain to destroy microsoft or something. 🤣, that would be evil. 😁

If microsoft never existed; another company would have taken it's place. It would probably have become just as big (and dirty). I don'think the world would have been very different in that case.

BTW: I do hate people who always assume you're male when you like computers. 😉 😉 😁

Reply 27 of 34, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops sorry I did assume you were male - my bad 😘

XP Home is still a reasonable purchase even given that within 12-18 months we can [probably] expect the much touted and awaited Longhorn to be released.

XP wouldn't solve all your problems that I can say but it's much much better than Me (which to reiterate, is the worst OS Microsoft ever released). As mirekluza suggested, Win98SE is the most compatible with games but XP is significantly more stable.

Shame you can't enjoy Woodruff - it's an excellent game although most annoying at the same time 😀

Reply 28 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

XP might not only become outdated because of Longhorn; there are some interesting changes in hardware. I still live at my parents house and I don't own the computer I use. As soon as I move out I will have to buy my own computer. I don't know what operating system will be on it and what hardware it will have. I still have to complete my study, find work and find a nice place to live. Although I want this all to happen as soon as possible, a lot could have been changed.

The computer I use is a homebuild system I have to share with my older sister. A lot of it's components are outdated (replaced) components of the other computer in the house used by my parents. When hardware needs to be replaced, I first have to convince my dad to replace it. I don't install any hardware myself, because he would be furious and I would be very, I mean very, nervous to screw anything up. 🤣 When it comes to software I'm the main admin; I install software, drivers and I solve software related computer problems. 😎 I'm trying to learn and absorb as much computer knowledge now, so I won't have as much problems with my truly own system.

XP is not interesting for me at the moment, because most of the software I use is very outdated anyway. XP would also mean more hardware updates. I don't have a lot of influence on the hardware.

Reply 29 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen people running Windows XP on Pentium2 266MHz and it wasn't that bad. My new Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe didn't come with 9x drivers on the disc, finally. I don't think you'll find much trouble getting hardware and software support for XP for a long time to come, especially since it's super stable compared to the 9x series (and thus there will be less motivation to upgrade).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 31 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Longhorn won't be out until at the earliest mid-2006. That's 18 months...add about 12 more months to that and your good until mid 2007. That's 2yrs 6 months+ of DEFINITE XP support from 3rd party companies. Now I'll have to check Microsoft's end of support for XP but I'm quite sure that probably won't end until 2010+.

Longhorn will be backwards compatible with applications from XP and will even have 16bit support (in some versions of it anyway).

Point I'm getting at here is that if you wait until Longhorn comes out you'll just be wasting your time. Longhorn isn't some massive restructring of Windows that'll make all previous programs incompatible. The fact that the betas of Longhorn are as compatible as XP right now say's something (All right not much since they are betas.)

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-02-05, 04:12. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 32 of 34, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DosFreak's guess is about what I have heard for Longhorn. By then a machine that shipped with ME will be fairly old. You would be best off upgrading the whole computer by then. Though 98SE is best for games, they will be making drivers for XP for years to come, if you are worried adding new hardware to your current box.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 34 of 34, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@gidierre: Yes, I've read everything and already tried everything without any succes. I will try again later; my system needs a massive overhaul first.