VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sordid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Moderator edits: This topic was split from the original thread in the DOS forum, since it is about the Windows version.
-----------

Pheener wrote:
Finding help for the other two games I asked about here, I decided to pull out another old gem that I couldn't get working befor […]
Show full quote

Finding help for the other two games I asked about here, I decided to pull out another old gem that I couldn't get working before, Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny. I searched the forums for a similar problem, and found one that wasn't fully addressed, so I decided to ressurect it.

Lands of lore 2 Cutscene problem

LoLG runs really well under XP (with Win95 compatibility on) until you come to the cutscene when you meet the dragon. Every cutscene up until that point including the in-engine cutscenes work perfectly, so it's odd to me that they would lag so much in comparison. The only cause for this I can think of is if it uses a different codec/filetype for those movies.

Moreover, I can't really figure out how to launch the setup for the game... I have a hope that maybe if I can change some of the settings, I could perhaps get the cutscenes to play correctly.

Any ideas or comments are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Any new ideas about that problem? I tried nearly everything. I just don't understand why all cutscenes are playing normal until the dragon.

Very strange: Disabling the w95 compatiblity mode makes this particular cutscene (the dragon) run...but later the game refuses to play any...Then I turn w95 mode on and we have our beloved skipping problem.

Any help????

Update: Oh, I just realised this thread is in the DOS section...well, I'm running the Windows version 😉

...cause DOS doesn't have Direct3D Mode...

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The compatibility modes in Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista are basically just a bunch of compatibility fixes bundled up and labeled "Windows 95" "Window 98" "Windows 2000" "Windows XP"

To view what fixes "Windows 95" compatibility mode applies you need to download the Application Compatibility Toolkit. You can then modify "Windows 95" compatibility mode to however you see fit or create your own fix for the game. Since you said the behavior doesn't happen when you take off Windows 95 mode it's likely that one of the options in that mode is causing the problem.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by Nwah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and I'm French, so please forgive my poor english.
I have the same problem: some videos run smoothly only with 95 compatibility (intro for example), the others only without it (like that dragon flight).

I tried the compatibility toolkit, but apparently it won't help: it's the same parameter that causes these two problems, whether it is on or off.
It's rather strange but it's just the parameter that "lies" on windows version (Win95VersionLie). I really can't see why movies are not played the same way because of this.

Well, if no solution is found, I guess I'll just switch between 95 and XP modes...