VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I built a retro gaming pc for the many pc games i acquired through out the years but one consistent problem i’ve had is the installation of Windows XP SP3. Windows 98 SE Installs just fine and works. But XP can be so unstable at times. It crashed on me and i had reinstall XP. But then it corrupted my IDE 160gb hdd, sure the HDD maybe old and worn out. So then i decided to put my 500gb SSD in and went through with the install process and then the Blue Screen of Death and now my SSD is corrupted aswell. Cannot seem to fix it in Windows 10 Disk Management. Even under Ease Us. How do i fix this problem? I used backed up discs and went through all 3 of my discs giving me the same result. But with different BSOD error codes. Can i boot from a USB on old rigs like my Socket 370 PC?

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-02-03, 17:41:

I built a retro gaming pc for the many pc games i acquired through out the years but one consistent problem i’ve had is the installation of Windows XP SP3. Windows 98 SE Installs just fine and works. But XP can be so unstable at times. It crashed on me and i had reinstall XP. But then it corrupted my IDE 160gb hdd, sure the HDD maybe old and worn out. So then i decided to put my 500gb SSD in and went through with the install process and then the Blue Screen of Death and now my SSD is corrupted aswell. Cannot seem to fix it in Windows 10 Disk Management. Even under Ease Us. How do i fix this problem? I used backed up discs and went through all 3 of my discs giving me the same result. But with different BSOD error codes. Can i boot from a USB on old rigs like my Socket 370 PC?

What motherboard/IDE controller are you using ?
Are you running Windows 98 SE on a different drive and, if so, what size is it ?

Some ideas :

- bad IDE cable
- Maybe motherboard BIOS does not properly support >127GB driver properly
- Windows 98 SE defaults to PIO (non DMA) for controllers compatible with the ESDI_506.PDR driver . I believe that XP defaults to DMA (could be wrong about that), so that may explain the difference in behaviour

Just some thoughts .

Reply 2 of 2, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-02-03, 18:01:
What motherboard/IDE controller are you using ? Are you running Windows 98 SE on a different drive and, if so, what size is it ? […]
Show full quote
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-02-03, 17:41:

What motherboard/IDE controller are you using ?
Are you running Windows 98 SE on a different drive and, if so, what size is it ?

Some ideas :

- bad IDE cable
- Maybe motherboard BIOS does not properly support >127GB driver properly
- Windows 98 SE defaults to PIO (non DMA) for controllers compatible with the ESDI_506.PDR driver . I believe that XP defaults to DMA (could be wrong about that), so that may explain the difference in behaviour

Just some thoughts .

Epox EP3DVA. I set the bios to SCSI, the IDE Cables are new. Likely bad CD Drives. As XP Set up is not loading up. 98SE is installed on a 120gb hdd.