VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow on my Windows 10 PC using OTVDM. It installs fine, but when I try to run it, it gives "Unable to link Kernel32.DLL" error message following by a 0xc000042 error. I also installed the Toy Story Demo included in the game CD, which only gives the 0xc000042 error. Is there any way to fix this issue in this game? I tried replacing two of the .dll files of the game provided by PCGW, but the 0xc000042 error still exists.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 4, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to run in with DOSBox with Windows 3.11 installed in it. It's also the ONLY way to get fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode is very important to avoid tearing.
If you still want to avoid emulation, use the patch available on 'some websites'. You still won't get fullscreen mode, but at least the game will run at most in windowed mode, 640x480.

Reply 2 of 4, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-09, 09:59:

You need to run in with DOSBox with Windows 3.11 installed in it. It's also the ONLY way to get fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode is very important to avoid tearing.
If you still want to avoid emulation, use the patch available on 'some websites'. You still won't get fullscreen mode, but at least the game will run at most in windowed mode, 640x480.

Could you link "some websites"? The only thing I have fixed till now is the Kernel32.dll by replacing 'WDIR62F.dll' and 'PMPRO62F.dll'

Reply 3 of 4, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course, see below.

And you really should use DOSBox with Windows 3.11, way less headaches.

See this thread:
Disney Interactive's Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow Patch

Reply 4 of 4, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-09, 10:31:
Of course, see below. […]
Show full quote

Of course, see below.

And you really should use DOSBox with Windows 3.11, way less headaches.

See this thread:
Disney Interactive's Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow Patch

DOSBox with Win3.11 surely works, but I like to run it natively so ...
Meanwhile my friend had a copy of this game on GOG.com and he was kind enough to share me some files, that allowed me to run the me directly.

Attachments