VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a old retail copy of MechWarrior 2 Pentium Edition(v1.0) that I could play on my Windows 95 machine. A few years prior, I would use MechVM to run this game on Windows 7 and would work fine. But now under Windows 10, the game crashes as I start anything like Trial in 'Cadet Training' or anything else. I would be using PCem to run this but, the performance isn't satisfactory, with the machine running at 60-70 perc at all times and the sound cracks.

Is there a way I can play this game again?
Note that Pentium Edition doesn't include DOS versions.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

PC SPECS:-
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC Edition
RAM: 8GB*2 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450M
PSU: Corsair VX550
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892

Reply 1 of 3, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked under Event Viewer and it mentioned 'WAIL32.DLL' in problem signatures.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 2 of 3, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A new report from Event Viewer reports additional 2 .dll files, 'WINMM.DLL' and 'AcGenral.dll'. I don't know what the second one is.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 3 of 3, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The second one I presumed is when Windows 10 detected a known application compatibility and tried to provide its layers of workarounds. The same DLL was there since Windows XP.

I literally gave up trying to make Mechwarrior 2 working on Windows 10. I could patch it all-the-way to work on any version of WinXP~Win7 (never had Win8/8.1 to check) without any *compatibility* options. For all previously known patches for the game, the compatibility option was still required on WinXP~Win7 to make sound working through WINMM.DLL. Unfortunately, Win10 broke that, you could make the game work by disabling audio hardware from device manager (AC97 or HD Audio controller) or put a copy of WINMM.DLL from WinXP into the game folder. The later was just to avoid the crash, it did not solve the broken audio.

The game is notorious of running poorly with fast modern machines when frame rate exceeds 45FPS. Running the game on QEMU would provide the means to limit frame rate while maintaining persistent 30 FPS throughout the gameplay in any circumstances.