VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried using Creative ALchemy in a couple of games like Soldier of Fortune I, Soldier of Fortune II, and Battlefield 2 and it works. However, the audio feels like there is a sewers environment effect being applied . Sometimes the sound becomes normal once I start a map and leave the main menu and sometimes the sound changes the environmental effect when selecting a different maps. It feels like the ambient sounds are not being applied correctly. The program works fine with other games but not these. I am not sure why this issue happen in some games. It is really weird. I am using Creative ALchemy 1.45.20

Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Reply 1 of 2, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

alchemy never having been all that great is the answer here, as far as i'm concerned... there's a reason it has all these settings for buffers etc. - and i doubt even tweaking these can get rid off all issues. just go with XP if you want to save yourself some headaches; actually even then there's headaches, because there's broken stuff and some games might require a specific card or even 9x with period vxd drivers. you could also try the x-fi mb software if you're using a card now, or vice-versa.

either that or it's an issue with the implementation in certain games; for instance in half-life the presets are only engaged upon zone transitions and things can sometimes get a tad janky with missing effects, like with loading savegames, from what i've noticed.

also i think there's a misunderstanding regarding BF2, as that's a native openal game that should run just fine on vista and later without any need for alchemy.

Reply 2 of 2, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
auron wrote on 2021-02-21, 09:30:

alchemy never having been all that great is the answer here, as far as i'm concerned... there's a reason it has all these settings for buffers etc. - and i doubt even tweaking these can get rid off all issues. just go with XP if you want to save yourself some headaches; actually even then there's headaches, because there's broken stuff and some games might require a specific card or even 9x with period vxd drivers. you could also try the x-fi mb software if you're using a card now, or vice-versa.

either that or it's an issue with the implementation in certain games; for instance in half-life the presets are only engaged upon zone transitions and things can sometimes get a tad janky with missing effects, like with loading savegames, from what i've noticed.

also i think there's a misunderstanding regarding BF2, as that's a native openal game that should run just fine on vista and later without any need for alchemy.

Thanks for the response. For BF2, yes I am aware that it uses OpenAL not DS3D, but it is clearly mentioned in Creative ALchemy website that it is supported by ALchemy, and the EAX effects becomes effective when ALchemy is used. Before using ALchemy actually the enable EAX button didn't do anything.

For SoF II, actually EAX can be enabled without ALchemy and works just fine. With ALchemy it becomes weird with sewers environment reverb all over the place. With BF2 EAX is not possible without ALchemy.

Also, for SoF I EAX is not possible without ALchemy, and the game is supposed to work just fine with ALchemy as it is a DS3D game. I am using SoF plus by the way, so I am not sure if that can be the cause of the weird EAX effects.