VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six on my PC and the main menu music doesn't change. I used CDAudio proxy, ogg-winmm, and many other wrappers but they don't work. In fact while using CDAudio proxy, the game didn't create a tracklen.nfo when launched with administrator privileges.

My game is installed in C:\ because for some reason the game doesn't work in other local discs, probably because of the space character thing. But running the game as admin atleast would have started the winmm.dll from the game folder. I have tested the music files in .ogg and .flac formats.

What other thing should I try to fix this?

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-03-27, 08:39. Edited 1 time in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-19, 20:06:

DxWnd's the most advanced CDDA wrapper, and when I launch the game with DxWnd as a CDDA wrapper menu music loops; if you think it should continue I would report it in the DxWnd forum on SourceForge.

If I use the old CDAudio proxy, the tracklen.nfo isn't generated and the music plays from the CD. If I use it through DxWnd, the tracklen.nfo is generated with no data inside it and the music doesn't even play.

Reply 3 of 19, by Dee-Dee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Logs could tell more but one possibility is wrong track naming or an invalid audio format. Although Dxwnd supports .wav, .mp3 and .flac too the best compatibility is probably with .ogg files. Also the tracks must be named correctly. Use "track02.ogg" not "track 02.ogg" or "track2.ogg" or "track02.ogg.ogg" (Windows has a stupid default option that hides extensions of known file types.)

Reply 4 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dee-Dee wrote on 2021-03-26, 15:18:

Logs could tell more but one possibility is wrong track naming or an invalid audio format. Although Dxwnd supports .wav, .mp3 and .flac too the best compatibility is probably with .ogg files. Also the tracks must be named correctly. Use "track02.ogg" not "track 02.ogg" or "track2.ogg" or "track02.ogg.ogg" (Windows has a stupid default option that hides extensions of known file types.)

I am sure that it's track02.ogg and following.

I have extracted the files several times but nothing helps.

Reply 6 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-26, 19:38:

Have you removed the CDAudio proxy files before trying DxWnd? Have you read DxWnd's documentation?

I removed every file for the old version. I even tried the other options of the Sound tab for Dxwnd but nothing helps. I even tried installing to another partition but the same result.

Reply 7 of 19, by Dee-Dee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-27, 01:58:

I removed every file for the old version. I even tried the other options of the Sound tab for Dxwnd but nothing helps. I even tried installing to another partition but the same result.

That is puzzling...

I assume it is the first Rainbow Six game from 1998 and the system is Windows 10?
Also presumably other games have worked fine with Dxwnd and cdaudio emulation?

Could it be some kind of permission issue or a compatibility layer that is affecting the game executable? One test would be to rename the game executable which could bypass any Windows compatibility layers.

Going deeper one could use Sysinternals tools like Process Explorer to see what is happening in the Threads tab of the process and the Stack. This might give a hint as to what other process in the system might be interfering.

Dxwnd logs might also help but you should probably start a thread at the Dxwnd discussion board over at SourceForge for that.

Reply 8 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dee-Dee wrote on 2021-03-27, 14:49:
That is puzzling... […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-27, 01:58:

That is puzzling...

I assume it is the first Rainbow Six game from 1998 and the system is Windows 10?
Also presumably other games have worked fine with Dxwnd and cdaudio emulation?

Could it be some kind of permission issue or a compatibility layer that is affecting the game executable? One test would be to rename the game executable which could bypass any Windows compatibility layers.

Going deeper one could use Sysinternals tools like Process Explorer to see what is happening in the Threads tab of the process and the Stack. This might give a hint as to what other process in the system might be interfering.

Dxwnd logs might also help but you should probably start a thread at the Dxwnd discussion board over at SourceForge for that.

The case is similar with MechWarrior 2. The game straightway ignores the winmm.dll from DxWnd or custom one I put and directly calls the one from SysWOW64. It is interesting to see ZellSF somehow managing to get the game running with a different winmm.dll.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 19, by Dee-Dee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm... I wonder if it could be related to the VirtualMidiSynth by CoolSoft? That is the only non Microsoft dll that appears to be loaded. Midi playback is handled by the MCI API so any kind of additional emulator or program that ties into the game executable and replaces or uses the API might redirect the winmm hooking.

Reply 10 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dee-Dee wrote on 2021-03-27, 17:20:

Hmmm... I wonder if it could be related to the VirtualMidiSynth by CoolSoft? That is the only non Microsoft dll that appears to be loaded. Midi playback is handled by the MCI API so any kind of additional emulator or program that ties into the game executable and replaces or uses the API might redirect the winmm hooking.

It was a very good guess but it didn't help. I noticed when I launch the game with DxWnd, other DxWnd files like libvorbis.dll, libogg.dll, dxwplay.dll all load with the game except winmm. which loads from SysWOW64.

Reply 11 of 19, by Dee-Dee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One more thing:
Take a look in the folder where you have Dxwnd.exe. If there is a winmm.dll wrapper file in that same folder remove it. There was a mistake in one of the Dxwnd releases where the wrapper was distributed in the root folder together with dxwnd.exe.

Dxwnd builds 2.05.57 - 2.05.59 came with a winmm.dll wrapper in the same folder as dxwnd.exe (when GHO merged the CDAudio proxy with the main Dxwnd project). This was causing a conflict with some games so the proxy dll was moved in a "vcda" sub-folder starting with the 2_05_60_build.

Reply 12 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dee-Dee wrote on 2021-03-27, 19:11:

One more thing:
Take a look in the folder where you have Dxwnd.exe. If there is a winmm.dll wrapper file in that same folder remove it. There was a mistake in one of the Dxwnd releases where the wrapper was distributed in the root folder together with dxwnd.exe.

Dxwnd builds 2.05.57 - 2.05.59 came with a winmm.dll wrapper in the same folder as dxwnd.exe (when GHO merged the CDAudio proxy with the main Dxwnd project). This was causing a conflict with some games so the proxy dll was moved in a "vcda" sub-folder starting with the 2_05_60_build.

There isn't, the file is in the vcda folder from default so I am using the proper version

Reply 13 of 19, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The obvious question would be, does DxWnd work at all? Do DirectX hooks work? (obviously you don't necessarily want to enable them all the time, just to test if DxWnd can interact with the application at all).

Reply 14 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-29, 11:34:

The obvious question would be, does DxWnd work at all? Do DirectX hooks work? (obviously you don't necessarily want to enable them all the time, just to test if DxWnd can interact with the application at all).

It interacts with the application. The game uses libogg.dll, libvorbis.dll etc and the game also changes from Windowed to Fullscreen with DxWnd.

Only Winmm.dll is not hooked

Reply 16 of 19, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The retail CD version just worked right away on Win98 VM for this 1998 classic, including the menu CD music. Simply rip the CD into CUE/BIN, minimum installation and play. Not even CD crack is required. Native 1024x768 rendering at max quality including Fog. There is last official 1.04 patch out there. It is a good idea to patch it up, but so far it works without it.

No hassles, do nothing, just play with VM.

Reply 17 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:58:

The retail CD version just worked right away on Win98 VM for this 1998 classic, including the menu CD music. Simply rip the CD into CUE/BIN, minimum installation and play. Not even CD crack is required. Native 1024x768 rendering at max quality including Fog. There is last official 1.04 patch out there. It is a good idea to patch it up, but so far it works without it.

No hassles, do nothing, just play with VM.

Just playing it in a VM nowadays. The Uplay versions exist and I don't know if they fixed the problems, if they did I would like to see a similar thing happening with the retail version of this game by the community.

Reply 18 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem has been detected: DxWnd has a 80 character path limit and it won't look for music in any path beyond this limit. The fix is to use a path below characters, my path worked at 77 characters(probably because the inverted commas to denote the path took 2 more characters and 1 more is taken by something else)

I found where the problem was, Dee-Dee detected the limit and gho may probably change this in next update

Reply 19 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The same problem exists in the GOG release still. DxWnd with the preset for the game provided in the 'exports' folder just works. Also if the game crashes on startup, I would recommend to use Win98 compatibility mode.