VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1st off, this is a HOTU download of the game called Re-Volt by Acclaim (some info: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,369). I've also patched it to the latest version I could find (V1.207) by applying two patch files.

My system specs: Win2K SP4, P3, GF4/4200 DX9, IDE HDD NTFS

The game simply locks up whilst loading - there's a resource loading screen (status bar showing what file it is operating on) and the lock-up occurs at different file types/directories each time I've tried). I've tried Win95/98 compatability but it didn't make any difference.

Assuming I can get the game running and it offers LAN friendly fun, has anyone got the CD they'd like to sell me?! There's a few non PC version on eBay but that's it 🙁

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 6, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

can it be that the game was never made for win2k - i have win xp pro. and the game runs without problems
btw : no i will not sell it, its also one of my favourite games 🤣

Reply 2 of 6, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mephisto wrote:

can it be that the game was never made for win2k - i have win xp pro. and the game runs without problems
btw : no i will not sell it, its also one of my favourite games 🤣

Indeed, it *could* be that I'm running on Win2K but suspicion must also be with the content of the download!

I re-'installed' it from the download file and it ran up and I managed to play a game. But then it hung again when I went back to the main menu (also loading files) after finishing a rather unimpressive last 😐

I was impressed with what I'd seen and reckon it'd be a cool game for a LAN session. So, I'm on the hunt for a copy if anyone knows anyone who could supply it. I'm in the UK but would cover costs from anywhere. TIA.

Edit: I've picked up a copy from eBay Germany. I *hope* the game is as per the HOTU download in that it has language selection when you start it up 😀 I *hope* that the full version runs better on my machine 😦

Reply 3 of 6, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mephisto, what patch version do you have running on Re-Volt?

The game arrived this morning, installed OK and ran OK as V1.0 (only tried once), seemed OK at V1.10 (also ran OK once) but locks up when running V1.27 🙁 I don't know if I should be interested in the latest version but developers don't 'usually' release a patch without good reason 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sorry for that late answer - but i didnt get any email with your 2-nd response :

OK: I hav'nt played it for some time now : but i didnt remember to have patched the game - so i must have played it in the V1.0 (or whats the shipping version is/was)

Reply 5 of 6, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can get some information about the official patches here:
RevoltArchive ("Downloads")
You'll also find lots of tracks, models, etc. there.

With Revolt I use the patch "ognrvp2.zip"
(search http://www.gamecopyworld.com/)

Fixes the following problems:
Command line switch -sli fixes Voodoo SLI problems.
Can now select user tracks in multiplayer -
run UpdateTrack.exe in editor folder to convert old user tracks to new format
Track editor tracks can now be exported double size -
select "yes" on export when queried.
Tracks exported this way will have "double" on the end of their name when
viewed in the game.
Track editor now defaults to 2nd card if available
(fixes bug with Voodoo cards)
Added command line switch -nomip for graphics cards that can't
handle mip map levels.
Now remembers filter and mip map settings between front end and main game.
Misc. other minor bugs fixed.

Kolya

Reply 6 of 6, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great Re-Volt site you linked to there! Ta for that.

I followed one of its links to another site (Italian) where there was a Patch Switcher utility. I hoped this would be useful but it just highlights the fact the game locks up on my machine a lot (symptons as previously described).

I was putting off upgrading my system until I splash some cash on a major jump in system power so I think I'll drop back to the patch level that 'seemed' to be more stable 😀