VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dfros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to get Riverworld working on an old windows XP laptop. I can start the game but I have poligon displacement all over the place when getting in the level.
I have tried a couple of things with drivers and dgVoodoo but with dgVoodoo it won't start at all.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Screenshot made on an VM which I tried earlier.

Attachments

• displacement.png
    Filename
    displacement.png
    File size
    247.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 4, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I actually noticed this exact same problem on my Voodoo 1 Pentium MMX machine even though the game worked fine before. Guess the issue was as I expected, the CD not being in the drive. Perhaps they really didn't want you to play without Stéphane Picq's excellent music.

Reply 4 of 4, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

QEMU will play the game just fine in VM if you can compile from source. The WWORLD.EXE Glide/3Dfx version works on OpenGlide right out-of-box. Looking at other screenshots over Internet, it seems OpenGlide did render correctly. The Direct3D XWORLD.EXE didn't work on QEMU VM. Not sure about software rendering, when Glide/3Dfx worked I didn't bother with software rendering. It is not a very demanding game at first glance, not sure about later in game since I didn't play through it. OpenGlide rendered well over 60 FPS and it is probably a good idea to have VSYNC turned on to lock at 60 FPS.

So that also implies universal playability on VM across Windows, Linux and macOS. 😉