User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CPU: Intel Pentium III EB 933 MHz
Motherboard: Asus CUV4X-C
RAM: SDRAM 384 MB 133 MHz
GPU: GeForce 4 TI 4200
Soundcard: Sound blaster live! 5.1

When i start the game it freezes after 2 or 3 seconds sometimes i can go in-game but after 2 minutes it freezes.
Here Deus Ex Freezes on Startup there seems to be a suggestion that could solve my issue but the link is dead.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 1 of 20, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Suggestions :
try a newer machine
try running in glide with nglide or zackensacks wrapper http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/
try an alternative renderer http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday i tried formatting and testing the game with only the gpu installed, apparently it seems to be a D3D issue, if i switch to opengl i have no problems but the game look pretty bad (the opengl renderer was anything but finished) i also tried the alternative renderers but on a geforce 4 TI it seems to be too much like i get really bad performances.
I might go for nglide because honestly, on old systems the glide renderer in DE seems to be the only one fully tested, stable and working of them all.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 3 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok just tried nglide, it works, the performances are not great but everything seems to work fine, i knew that the first UE had broken support for everything besides glide but i was not expecting a geforce 4 TI to struggle in terms of compatibility.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 5 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote on 2021-09-13, 23:15:

Patches / unofficial patches? Maybe it was broken release back in the day?

I used the GOTY patch and that didn't work but yesterday i tried editing the ini file and somehow now D3D works, i had to enable the precache and use Vsync and also set the refresh rate for the monitor at 60Hz but now it works.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 6 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok this is kinda ridiculous, i reached UNTCO HQ and now the game freezes again but only in D3D, is the game really that bad in D3D ? is there no way to play this game on Geforce 4 TI 4200 in D3D without all these issues ? is there a damn patch ?

😭

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 8 of 20, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iraito wrote on 2021-09-14, 17:11:

Ok this is kinda ridiculous, i reached UNTCO HQ and now the game freezes again but only in D3D, is the game really that bad in D3D ? is there no way to play this game on Geforce 4 TI 4200 in D3D without all these issues ? is there a damn patch ?

Which Nvidia driver version are you currently using?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-09-14, 18:37:
iraito wrote on 2021-09-14, 17:11:

Which Nvidia driver version are you currently using?

By memory it should be 53.03, it's 100% a 53 one.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 10 of 20, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iraito wrote on 2021-09-14, 19:42:

Uninstall that version completely and then try 45.23.

Driver versions higher than that can reportedly cause issues with certain games under Win9x.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 11 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-09-14, 19:45:
iraito wrote on 2021-09-14, 19:42:

Uninstall that version completely and then try 45.23.

Driver versions higher than that can reportedly cause issues with certain games under Win9x.

I will, thank you!

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 12 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, still freezing, is it possible that my gpu being agp 8x capable but being utilized on a motherboard that goes up to 4x max (forced at 2x otherwise it misbehave) is actually not working correctly ?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 13 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well at the end of the day i had to go into the archive of cwdohnal and i had to find the last custom DX8 renderer for deus ex, not DX9, not openGL, DX8 is the one.
Now i get better performances and visuals and no freeze, i still would like to know if by limiting my GPU to AGP 2x i'm creating some issue, but it seems unlikely since every other game i play has no problem whatsoever.

Attachments

• Filename
    dxd3d8r13.zip
    File size
    101.38 KiB
    Downloads
    88 downloads
    File comment
    cwdohnal is the creator of this file
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 14 of 20, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iraito wrote on 2021-09-15, 05:34:

Well at the end of the day i had to go into the archive of cwdohnal and i had to find the last custom DX8 renderer for deus ex, not DX9, not openGL, DX8 is the one.
Now i get better performances and visuals and no freeze, i still would like to know if by limiting my GPU to AGP 2x i'm creating some issue, but it seems unlikely since every other game i play has no problem whatsoever.

robbing performance that's it. downclocking is fine, like running SD133 ram at SD100, no issues forcing stuff to run faster than rated, aka over clocking thats where things can get a little wonky if not done correctly.

Reply 15 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote on 2021-09-24, 20:09:
iraito wrote on 2021-09-15, 05:34:

robbing performance that's it. downclocking is fine, like running SD133 ram at SD100, no issues forcing stuff to run faster than rated, aka over clocking thats where things can get a little wonky if not done correctly.

Yeah i'm currently overclocking my PII to 450 no problem i also tried down clocking in other computers, the problem here is the AGP, even at 2x i still have instabilities, i went and bought a geforce 3 which should behave correctly on this motherboard.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 16 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok i got the Geforce 3 and now i can use the card at AGP4x no problem but the game still freezes!

What the hell?!

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 17 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also tried hitman 2 and i got the same instabilities and freezing, so i can say that:
1: it's not the GPU
2: it's not the game

I also swapped the CPU and the result is the same, same goes for the RAM, could it be the motherboard ? or a BIOS voltage setting messing everything up ?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 18 of 20, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, solved.

I formatted, installed 28.32 drivers and then installed vice city, i think the game installed not only the directX but also some dependency for the directX that was needed for the correct functioning of the GPU in games.

Now it finally works.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 19 of 20, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iraito wrote on 2021-09-11, 11:29:
CPU: Intel Pentium III EB 933 MHz Motherboard: Asus CUV4X-C RAM: SDRAM 384 MB 133 MHz GPU: GeForce 4 TI 4200 Sou […]
Show full quote

CPU: Intel Pentium III EB 933 MHz
Motherboard: Asus CUV4X-C
RAM: SDRAM 384 MB 133 MHz
GPU: GeForce 4 TI 4200
Soundcard: Sound blaster live! 5.1

When i start the game it freezes after 2 or 3 seconds sometimes i can go in-game but after 2 minutes it freezes.
Here Deus Ex Freezes on Startup there seems to be a suggestion that could solve my issue but the link is dead.

have you tried deus.exe a fan made client that makes it work I think its by kensui

https://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

I am I