VOGONS

Common searches

Red Alert 2

Topic actions

First post, by Loknar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few months ago, I got myself a new PC (and will be upgrading it soon - see below), and decided to install RA2 on it. Whilst the classic version ran perfectly, the expanion (Yuri's Revenge) would not get past the loading screen. Ever.
I've tried EVERY compatability mode, reinstalling the game, patching, upgrading to SP2 and then to Windows XP Pro - and still nothing. Here are the system specs below for the current machine, and the specs for the upgraded one:

Current PC
80GB 7200rpm HDD
Windows XP Pro SP2
1GB PC3200 RAM
3.0GHz P4 CPU
DirectX 9.0c
GeForce 5900 Graphics Card (drivers v66.93 - latest but one).

Upgraded PC
148GB 10,000rpm HDD (for games only, OS stays on above HDD)
Windows XP Pro SP2
2GB PC3200 RAM
Athlon FX-55 2.6GHz CPU overclocked to 3.0GHz
DirectX9.0c
2x GeForce 6800 Ultras with PCI-Express and SLI-linked

As I said, I've tried EVERY SINGLE compatability mode for the game, and EA Games have been absolutely useless (tips like "have you used compatability mode?" when I said I had 😠 ) - does anyone here have any ideas? Would a hardware profile work (please don't say I've got to restart every damn time just to play one game)?

uktoday.gif
God Save The Queen!

Reply 1 of 1, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i dont know if this is a tip, but i heard after the release of the SP2 for win XP that many of the games had problems with it : you wrote that you upgraded your XP to SP2 - have you tried to upgrade it only to Sp1 ????

I try to search for the list of the games that have problems with SP2 (its a very long list) it was somewhere on a M$- Site - maybe there is also an solution for this problem

Update:

Have found something :http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/16/news_6104980.html

hav'nt read the article but it has something to do with the SP2 firewall : i only have Sp1 and dont know SP2, but try to disable the Windows- firewall
maybe it helps

Another Question : Do you have some other FW installed on your PC ??