VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am facing stuttering issues with some games under Windows 98 SE. Specifically facing issues with CD audio based games such as Midtown Madness, FireFight. The games load fine, CD music plays perfectly, but while playing, noticing visual stutters. First I thought it was my graphics drivers (Fx5600). Hence installed an older version of the driver (45.23) for my card. Still facing the same issue despite trying several older versions. Have installed the Vxd drivers for my SB live (SB0100) from Phil's site.

I am mounting the ISO image using daemon tools and running the game this way. Didn't face the stuttering issue with games which don't rely on CD audio such as Mig Alley, Road Rash, Star Wars Racer, etc. Please let me know if any one else is facing the same issue? Also any thoughts if it could be related to SB Live drivers or Daemon tools? Thank you!!

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 3 of 6, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can see two possible issues. One is that playing CD audio from an image will have a much higher CPU cost than playing it from CD, which is free. What are your system specs? Another possible issue is the fact that your hard drive is busy playing the CD audio, leading to stutters when it needs to access game data. Perhaps putting the CD images on another hard drive, on another IDE channel, would help. Also, check if DMA is enabled for your hard drive.

Reply 4 of 6, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Oetker. One thing I noted was that not all CD audio based games are stuttering. For eg. Interstate '76 is smooth with virtual disk. Same with nitro pack. As of now noted that the issue is more pronounced in Midtown Madness and a little less on Fire Fight. Interestingly the stutter is present even on the vehicle selection screen in MTM (where the vehicle stutters while revolving). Will check on the DMA part. BTW the system config is in my signature. Thanks!

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 5 of 6, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember having a stuttering problem way back when I played Carmageddon 2. It stopped when I put in any cd with audio tracks. But as you already have sound it probably does not work..

Reply 6 of 6, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-10-02, 06:52:

Also, check if DMA is enabled for your hard drive.

Been a while, but recently enabled DMA mode. Then noticed almost no stuttering using Daemon tools. Enabling DMA did the trick. Thanks!!