VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Downloading glide2x.dll and putting it in the Hexen II folder doesn't fix it.

Deleting opengl32.dll doesn't fix it.

Installing Glide Wrapper doesn't fix it.

HALP

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 1 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would probably help if you'd tell us what exactly the problem is.

All I can say is, when trying to use really older OpenGL programs, you need some way of cutting down the GL_EXTENSIONS string; otherwise it will buffer overflow and crash the process. I've had to do this for practically every OpenGL game from 1997-2004. (yes even Quake III Arena, Solder of Fortune II, etc will buffer overflow and crash if that reported string is too large)

You can easily do this with open source drivers under Linux by passing "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=1.2 MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=1997" to the environment before launching, but Windows drivers offer absolutely zero assistance with this. Normally, going from experience, there was a time driver vendors would include a huge database of badly behaving EXE names and would automatically reduce the GL_EXTENSIONS to exactly what the game in particular wants, but I'm not sure if they still even bother with that kind of driver functionality anymore.

You could also just use something like Hammer of Thyrion to play Hexen II in OpenGL since it's well better behaved even with drivers that report a obnoxiously long list of extensions.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 3, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2021-12-17, 11:40:
Would probably help if you'd tell us what exactly the problem is. […]
Show full quote

Would probably help if you'd tell us what exactly the problem is.

All I can say is, when trying to use really older OpenGL programs, you need some way of cutting down the GL_EXTENSIONS string; otherwise it will buffer overflow and crash the process. I've had to do this for practically every OpenGL game from 1997-2004. (yes even Quake III Arena, Solder of Fortune II, etc will buffer overflow and crash if that reported string is too large)

You can easily do this with open source drivers under Linux by passing "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=1.2 MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=1997" to the environment before launching, but Windows drivers offer absolutely zero assistance with this. Normally, going from experience, there was a time driver vendors would include a huge database of badly behaving EXE names and would automatically reduce the GL_EXTENSIONS to exactly what the game in particular wants, but I'm not sure if they still even bother with that kind of driver functionality anymore.

You could also just use something like Hammer of Thyrion to play Hexen II in OpenGL since it's well better behaved even with drivers that report a obnoxiously long list of extensions.

I don't have problems playing Quake 2 or 3 or SOF2 on my Nvidia card. For Hexen 2 in I didn't test much, but the mission launched as far as I remember. Perhaps Mesa3D should be given a try.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058