VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kaldaien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, thank you for adding Flip Model support to D3D11, rather than keeping it D3D12 only -- life sucks without Flip Model 😀

I have run into problems with dgVoodoo creating and destroying its SwapChain every frame. Many overlays as well as my own modding framework (Special K) have to perform non-trivial cleanup every time a SwapChain is destroyed. Other projects I have worked on, such as ReShade, also cannot perform optimally when SwapChains are being used for a single frame and then tossed out like garbage 😀

I cannot figure what the purpose of this design was?

I mean, there is nothing technically wrong with it, but it interacts very poorly with third-party software modifying games or drawing overlays.

While the current design technically works, I can assure you that keeping the same SwapChains for multiple frames would allow game modding frameworks and overlays to work better with dgVoodoo. Currently most frameworks I'm familiar with will react to SwapChain destroy / create by releasing SwapChain resources (e.g. backbuffer SRV/RTV) and re-initializing on the next frame.

As of June 11 2022, Special K has compatibility hacks to handle sloppy SwapChain lifetime, but these hacks irritate me and I am hoping we can make them unnecessary 😀

tl;dr: It would be fantastic if a future release used persistent SwapChains (like 99.9% of games 😜).

Thank you,
- Kaldaien