VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 22 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cloverskull wrote on 2022-06-15, 02:28:

Ah, yeah, these are DOS 16 bit programs. Old BBS doors like Legend of the Red Dragon and Tradewars 2002.

What about OS/2? It was popular among BBS sysops. 😀
There's some development going on in ArcaOS (ex BlueLion OS).
The goal is to make it run on UEFI, or so I heard.
And since OS/2 is 32-Bit, anyway, 32-Bit UEFI support seems logical.

https://www.arcanoae.com/uefi-support-in-arca … -february-2022/

Edit:

Plasma wrote on 2022-06-15, 02:50:

Does DOSBox not work? If the programs are text-only you can also try MS-DOS Player.

I second that! 😁

I used to use that player to use ARC on Windows 7 x64.

Because, ARC was such an old archiver with an obscure compression,
that my mail hoster and the one of a friend, wasn't able to scan the archive.
That was the only way to send a friend an EXE file!
MS-DOS Player made that task very easy.

DOSBox would have needed a huge Cycle number to archive the same in a short time.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 26, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox is great but has one limitation: multinode/multiplayer games won't work due to the way DOSBox works with the filesystem.

I've used dosemu2 in linux to decent effect but it also has a lot of problems with various games. It's pretty imperfect though I'm happy the project has actual ongoing development.

I appreciate the recommendation to try MS-DOS Player, I'll give that a shot 😀 But I'm still back at square one where I have a UEFI-only machine that is stuck with a measly 4gigs of RAM. Installing Windows 7 would be far and away my preference.

ArcaOS seems interesting, I'll give that a look. Very intriguing. I never got into OS/2 back in the day so have very limited experience, but this sounds like a cool thing to explore 😀 Thanks.

Reply 24 of 26, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cloverskull wrote on 2022-06-15, 05:49:

DOSBox is great but has one limitation: multinode/multiplayer games won't work due to the way DOSBox works with the filesystem.

Maybe ask the dosbox-x devs? They seem pretty responsive to problems like these.

cloverskull wrote on 2022-06-15, 05:49:

I appreciate the recommendation to try MS-DOS Player, I'll give that a shot 😀 But I'm still back at square one where I have a UEFI-only machine that is stuck with a measly 4gigs of RAM. Installing Windows 7 would be far and away my preference.

Msdos player works fine on windows 7.

Reply 26 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cloverskull wrote on 2022-06-15, 16:15:

I won't need msdos player if I use win7 32 bit, which is precisely the reason I created this thread 😀

I think you should try WinXP on VMware, I remember it working quite fine on my 4gb ram Windows 10 PC.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058