Common searches

Reply 20 of 27, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-28, 06:41:
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-28, 05:40:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-28, 05:04:

Games running fast on Windows is because of the lack of working V-sync in DirectDraw or GDI, in the case DirectDraw.

Speed Busters is another game to add to the pile of incompatible Windows 95 games then.......

Game is running fast doesn't mean it is incompatible. That's a reason why wrappers exist, to replace an non-working FPS cap supplied by new DDraw. dgVoodoo2, DxWnd, ddwrapper can cap the frame rate and make them run at a normal speed. Even games such as Descent 2, which have problems in DOS version running the game on a fast CPU, the Windows 95 version works properly when capped to 60FPS.

I have the game on Windows 11, I will try it sometime.

Hard pass and misunderstanding.

I recently bought a Windows 98SE gaming rig to play Win 95 and 98 games on period correct hardware, not to have it as a dust collector. 😑

Reply 21 of 27, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-28, 07:09:
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-28, 05:40:

Speed Busters is another game to add to the pile of incompatible Windows 95 games then.......

Game is running fast doesn't mean it is incompatible. That's a reason why wrappers exist, to replace an non-working FPS cap supplied by new DDraw. dgVoodoo2, DxWnd, ddwrapper can cap the frame rate and make them run at a normal speed. Even games such as Descent 2, which have problems in DOS version running the game on a fast CPU, the Windows 95 version works properly when capped to 60FPS.

I recently bought a Windows 98SE gaming rig to play Win 95 and 98 games on period correct hardware, not to have it as a dust collector. 😑

You are not alone. Old Ubisoft games were such, so you'll expect problems. You can switch things one by one with the resources you have. As always I would check the chipset drivers and GPU, gpu drivers.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 22 of 27, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-28, 09:07:

You are not alone. Old Ubisoft games were such, so you'll expect problems. You can switch things one by one with the resources you have. As always I would check the chipset drivers and GPU, gpu drivers.

To tell you the truth, I'm very moronic with computers (and overall) and don't know the first step of coding, confuguring, editing a program, etc. I boughted the 98SE PC pre-bult off ebay only know how to detach and reattach parts of computers like there GPU, CPU, and sound card and installing there drivers. but not building them from scratch.

Can you tell me what kind of chipset drivers and GPU drivers I should have?

Reply 23 of 27, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-28, 10:43:

To tell you the truth, I'm very moronic with computers (and overall) and don't know the first step of coding, confuguring, editing a program, etc. I boughted the 98SE PC pre-bult off ebay only know how to detach and reattach parts of computers like there GPU, CPU, and sound card and installing there drivers. but not building them from scratch.

For a fact, I know the 41.xx series driver had offerred better performance. I don't have ideas for the better support, I think you should try an older driver.

Or else try older different DirectX, such as DirectX 6.1. At least older DirectX fixed Jane's Longbow for my Windows 98

Reply 24 of 27, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-28, 10:49:

For a fact, I know the 41.xx series driver had offerred better performance. I don't have ideas for the better support, I think you should try an older driver.

Or else try older different DirectX, such as DirectX 6.1. At least older DirectX fixed Jane's Longbow for my Windows 98

41.xx series?

Reply 25 of 27, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-28, 11:45:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-28, 10:49:

41.xx series?

30.xx series:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1402&menustate=0

41.xx series:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1289&menustate=0

Reply 26 of 27, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SpeedBusters has always been buggy. I remember it crashing every now and then at the time, and so does the GOG version, even more often. The original version had glide 2.x and 3.x support which I believe, were the most stable options to play, but unfortunately those don't work with the GOG version.

Reply 27 of 27, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2022-07-14, 03:08:

SpeedBusters has always been buggy. I remember it crashing every now and then at the time, and so does the GOG version, even more often. The original version had glide 2.x and 3.x support which I believe, were the most stable options to play, but unfortunately those don't work with the GOG version.

As soon as I regain my 98SE, I'm gonna downgrade my DirectX to 7 to see if that works.