VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in Windows XP, all games were in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Now in Windows 10 and 11 (what about Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1?), this option is overriden by a borderless fullscreen window and coupled with a Full Screen Optimization that "increases performance". I never changed these settings and I would like to test, but before I do those benchmarks I have queries.

Which APIs are affected by the change to override 'exclusive FS' with 'borderless FS
with Optimization'? Is it D3D11/12 or DirectX1-9 too? What about OpenGL?

How do you disable the 'fullscreen optimisations' so that the game runs only in 'fullscreen borderless window'?

How do you disable both 'FS Optimisations' and 'fullscreen borderless window' so that the game can be run in 'exclusive fullscreen'?

How do you verify that the game is running in Exclusive mode/borderless fullscreen/borderless with FS Optimization?

Historically, when Win10 was released (or when Win10 was updated to always use borderless FS), did the older games, which had setting to choose between borderless fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen, have performance exactly or closely same to each other?

Thank you.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 4, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the most part there is negligible performance difference, though I have had some inconsistent frame pacing issues in the past. The easiest way to verify is to change volume and see if the Windows on-screen volume notifications appears.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 2 of 4, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
y2k se wrote on 2022-10-17, 14:27:

For the most part there is negligible performance difference, though I have had some inconsistent frame pacing issues in the past. The easiest way to verify is to change volume and see if the Windows on-screen volume notifications appears.

I enabled "Disable full screen optimisations" in 7 games. Volume bar comes up always. Game bar also comes up. That means I am not in exclusive fullscreen.

Reply 3 of 4, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fullscreen mode in Direct3D8 games on Windows 10

From the archived link:
� Run the Compatibility Administrator (32-bit)
� Select New Database (1) and press Fix
� Fill in the vendor name and the program name, as well as the location of the program. Press next.
� Press Next again.
� Select fix DXPrimaryEmulation
� Click Parameters, enter: -DisableMaxWindowedMode and press OK.
� Press Next.
� Press Finish.
� Press Save, select the database name and save location.
� Press File - Install

I searched for that info a while back to fix stuff like the cursor moving too fast in RalliSport Challenge or the fullscreen window border bug in some pre-DX8 games.

Hope that helps.

Reply 4 of 4, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Flashback wrote on 2022-10-18, 11:10:
Fullscreen mode in Direct3D8 games on Windows 10 […]
Show full quote

Fullscreen mode in Direct3D8 games on Windows 10

From the archived link:
� Run the Compatibility Administrator (32-bit)
� Select New Database (1) and press Fix
� Fill in the vendor name and the program name, as well as the location of the program. Press next.
� Press Next again.
� Select fix DXPrimaryEmulation
� Click Parameters, enter: -DisableMaxWindowedMode and press OK.
� Press Next.
� Press Finish.
� Press Save, select the database name and save location.
� Press File - Install

I searched for that info a while back to fix stuff like the cursor moving too fast in RalliSport Challenge or the fullscreen window border bug in some pre-DX8 games.

Hope that helps.

Okay I think I got better results with this....

The Vsync looks disabled now for 60FPS+ games with Screen tearing, and the volume bar doesn't come up over the game.

So I assume this is exclusive fullscreen, right? Except there's one problem, the games don't work now actually...