VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JarenM03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have a computer running Windows 98 SE that utilizes a FIC VA-503+ motherboard (PCB 1.2a), and currently runs an AMD K6-2 processor running at 333 MHz. My intention was to upgrade this CPU to a 550 MHz model, which would require me to flash my BIOS (originally running the older revision "1.13JE12".) After some research, I was able to find Tim Stinnett's modification of the "JE4333" BIOS, which specifically runs APM for AT power supplies. My BIOS flash was successful, however I have had an odd issue with one of my graphics cards.

After I installed drivers for my ASUS AGP-V3800/32M card, I was un-able to boot back into Windows 98, unless I booted into Safe Mode, or if I ran the display with 16-color settings (y'know, the ones that run by-default and look like they were drawn in MS Paint.) Anything higher would result in me being able to get into the Windows 98 splash-screen, followed by a black screen with a never-ending white blinking dash. I tried installing two different drivers, un-installed, and re-installed... but to no avail.

The weird thing is, though, that my back-up ATI Rage Pro card was able to run native 32-bit display support perfectly fine. I would rather not use this card in the build however, as it only runs 8 MB of VRAM, compared to the 32 MB I currently utilize. To summarize, my question to you is: Will I be able to run my 32MB ASUS card with this new BIOS revision, and if so, what should I do to get it working? I should also mention that the ASUS card is a universal-AGP slot card, whereas I believe the ATI Rage card uses a strict 2x form-factor. I am also a complete rookie when it comes to computer builds, so I am probably over-seeing some obvious BIOS setting. This is also my first post, so I apologize if I wrote too much here. Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you all!