VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jharrison

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How does one select which OpenGL device this game uses? On a system with a G200 and a V2, it uses the V2 and I want it to use the G200.

There's nothing in the video options in this game to select the card like with Quake II, etc., and there's no "mini-GL" DLL or such in the game's directory I can move out of the way.

Reply 1 of 6, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe Hexen 2 is Quake 1 based, so it probably needs opengl32.dll present in the game's folder otherwise it checks \Windows\System and uses what it finds available there (in this case I presume the V2). Grab G200's opengl32.dll from its driver package and drop it in the same folder and that should enable it.

Of note, the OpenGL ICD present in the latest release for G200 is bugged, I believe transparencies are mishandled. Using the OpenGL ICD from the G400 drivers will get you a non-bugged ICD. Good ol' Matrox.

Reply 2 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By default GLHexen installs a 3dfx minigl as opengl32.dll in the game directory. So -- V2 through glide only.
Delete this file then try again.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

also fyi quake2 doesn't switch devices - it just loads different DLLS that aren't OpenGL32.dll and it doesn't check what devices are available. Hexen II was made before this functionality was conceptualized and back when there were dedicated "GLQuake drivers" for cards, and by default the Voodoo1 MiniGL's shipped because that was the lowest common denominator (...yes) that functioned the most.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by jharrison

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm an idiot. For some reason the opengl32.dll in the Hexen II directory was set as hidden, and I was playing with this through the CLI and didn't catch this. I don't know why this was set as such, but it was. Maybe the patch set it this way, but I don't know. Anyway, problem solved.

Reply 6 of 6, by jharrison

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2022-12-21, 14:02:

Win9x treats ".dll" files as hidden or system files.

Yeah. I have it set to show hidden files through Windows, apparently it doesn't translate to a DOS session. DIRCMD=/a fixed this.