VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
first of all the game works correctly if I launch it from "pure" dos (i.e. if I boot Windows 98 in DOS mode)

If instead I launch it from windows I get what you see in the picture, i.e. the game is rendered on the left side of the screen and on the right side the left side is repeated but in a strange way (the images are not the same, it looks like the "camera" is slightly shifted)

The video card is an Nvidia Quadro 3450

I also tried with this patch but nothing changes Re: Keen 4-5-6 choppy scrolling on EGA card

8B6C9118-792B-425C-814E-E3E4562530DF.jpeg
Filename
8B6C9118-792B-425C-814E-E3E4562530DF.jpeg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
C65835E8-8CA7-43C5-A6A9-A51205D514B3.jpeg
Filename
C65835E8-8CA7-43C5-A6A9-A51205D514B3.jpeg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Commander Keen uses EGA graphics with double-buffering (two video pages, "dual-page mode").
Here's another program using it, albeit in 640x350 resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2q5r3aNIyA

Hm. There's an old version of Virtual PC for Windows 98.
Maybe you can find it on eBay etc. It simulates an S3 VGA and dual-OPL2 (partially broken? Adlib/OPL2 ok), afaik.
That way, you can run MS-DOS 6.2x or Novell DOS 7 in a window.. Without leaving Windows 98SE. 😉

Hm. Or just use DOS for DOS games. Use MS-DOS Shell or Norton Commander, if the plain C:\> prompt is too crude.
Windows never was good with DOS applications, I think..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-23, 02:48:

This is kind of a misconception, while there are DOS applications with issues within Windows 9x, most of them works fine including the Commander Keen series. Seems to me that the problem is with the video card driver.

Only the NT-based versions of Windows weren't truly good with DOS applications.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-23, 03:37:
This is kind of a misconception, while there are DOS applications with issues within Windows 9x, most of them works fine includ […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-23, 02:48:

This is kind of a misconception, while there are DOS applications with issues within Windows 9x,
most of them works fine including the Commander Keen series. Seems to me that the problem is with the video card driver.

Only the NT-based versions of Windows weren't truly good with DOS applications.

It may be an misconception, but it's MY misconception then. And it matches my personal experierence, too. 😁
Back in the days before Windows XP I had nothing but trouble with Windows 3.x/9x and DOS applications (together, I mean).

DOS-based Windows messed up so many things. The serial port timings, the PIT, the waiting/idle loops in DOS programs, the video memory.
OS/2 Warp was much better here. It could emulate a generic VGA BIOS or use the real VGA BIOS on the ROM chip, for example. 😎 👍

Edit: Silly me! It's not DOS applications. It's "Non-Windows Applications" in Windows terminology. 😉

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-23, 05:58:

DOS-based Windows messed up so many things. The serial port timings, the PIT, the waiting/idle loops in DOS programs, the video memory.

Yes, this is especially with Windows versions prior 9x where many of these issues originated.

At least Windows 9x made several improvements and even has some overlooked capabilities for DOS programs within the Windows environment such as being able to use DirectSound (DirectX) in Impulse Tracker.

matti157 wrote on 2023-01-23, 08:06:

Do you know how to solve it? Just do alt+tab to return to Windows and then reopen the DOS window from the taskbar. Mystery 😅

With the current video card, no. 🙁

If possible, try with a period correct one since the Quadro FX 3450 was made by the time DOS went out of mainstream support.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-23, 13:02:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-23, 05:58:

Yes, this is especially with Windows versions prior 9x where many of these issues originated.

At least Windows 9x made several improvements and even has some overlooked capabilities for DOS programs within the Windows environment such as being able to use DirectSound (DirectX) in Impulse Tracker.

I think you're right here, good point! 🙂👍

What I was thinking of were Real-Mode applications, mainly.
And applications that struggle with DPMI-enabled OSes.
Essentially all those applications which don't feel well with EMM386/QEMM/386Max being around (those memory managers are akin to little V86 OSes).

//My video channel//