VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Redbarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again,

When I tried to install the 3dfx 4 4500 graphic card into my Windows 98 machine by using a driver from internet, it says that the
"This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed

I think it is related to driver. Does Anybody know any appropriate driver for 3dfx 4 4500?

Thank you

Reply 2 of 9, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/vsa100.htm
I would also suggest starting with the Reference Drivers at the top of the page. Once you get everything working, you can try 3rd party stuff.

Reply 3 of 9, by Redbarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi kixs and akula (I think it means shark:)
Thank you very much for your replies, appreciated. I tried all the different version of the driver for Voodoo 4 /4500 on the falconfly.3df website. Unfortunately no one worked on the freshly installed Windows 98 SE
Then, I installed the unofficial service pack 3, U98SESP3.exe, and finally the win98 found it and it worked.
I am not sure but either there are some missing dependencies in fresh Windows 98 installation (w/o service pack), or there is some HW issues on my voodoo4 card (bought from ebay for a cheaper price), so vodoo4 did not work.

Now, vodoo4 is working, but now I have different issues. Now the HTML pages are not displayed by windows. I mean either help topics, or IE does not show any texts on the windows. I think the unofficial service package has issue or virus etc.
Did you guys have any idea what can be the cause this HTML pages are not shown issues?
Thank you

Reply 5 of 9, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The FalconFly site sometimes includes text and/or HTML information on the right side of a driver entry on the page. So, for example, for the Voodoo4/5 Driver Version 1.04.00 (Date 09 November 2000), there is an HTML page with System Requirements for the driver:

System Requirements […]
Show full quote

System Requirements

Voodoo4 or Voodoo5 AGP or PCI video card
Windows 95/98/ME
16 MB of memory
Microsoft DirectX 7.x or higher
Intel(r) or AMD(r) compatible CPU

The key thing to note is that a suitable DirectX version must also be installed in addition to the Windows base install. Odds are this so-called Service Pack you mentioned is providing the DirectX that you need, but it may be causing problems as well. As Shagittarius mentioned, you would probably be better served by doing a clean Windows install (not using the Service Pack) and then installing DirectX 7.0 or higher manually. Fortunately, the FalconFly mirror I mentioned above also has a variety of DirectX packages for various versions of Windows: http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/directx.htm. Since you are using Windows 98, the DirectX 7.0a (08 December 1999) package would be a good candidate, and you can choose the English or German variants. Note that you need Windows 98 SE, since Windows 98 First Edition is not supported by DirectX 7 or later versions of DirectX. There may be other mirrors for the Microsoft DirectX files as well.

Reply 6 of 9, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2023-03-25, 19:24:

Note that you need Windows 98 SE, since Windows 98 First Edition is not supported by DirectX 7 or later versions of DirectX.

DX up to Dec 2006 can be installed on both 98 FE and SE directly, and after that up to Nov 2007. I've tested only a few early D3D8 games though.

Reply 7 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eddman wrote on 2023-03-25, 21:40:

after that up to Nov 2007

The last DX redist version with bda.cab/directx.cab is the Dec 2006 one.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9 of 9, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Redbarm wrote on 2023-03-26, 04:37:

Thank you guys for your replies
Ok, if I should not use the unofficial service packs, is there any place that I can download the official ones?

IINM there are no official ones for 98 SE. However, there is a 2004 "Security Update CD" which is sort of like one. It installs DX9, IE6, etc. and patches/fixes up to that point.

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=873

Gamecollector wrote on 2023-03-26, 04:06:

The last DX redist version with bda.cab/directx.cab is the Dec 2006 one.

I know, that's why I wrote "after that". You install dec 2006 and then can install up to nov 2007 without errors, although I don't think there are even any 98 compatible d3d9 games that would need the newer d3dx9_* files .