VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I'm putting away my CRT and 98/XP era systems away for the summer, and will be using my boring Windows 10, i7 etc system and flatscreen monitor.

I have a X-Fi that I'm using well with Windows 10, Alchemy, not too bad, and do have access to EAX 2,3,4,5, but it doesn't support EAX1, and that's the issue, i do like a bit of Baldur's Gate, the original of course, not EE, and can get it working fine, but the best thing about this game is the incredible EAX, and i just can't seem to get working.

Alchemy with the X-Fi will allow it to be enabled, it does not work in game though
I switched to a Xonar DG soundcard at one point, as it suppotrs up to EAX2, and it does work in this game and I get the effects, but the sound seems a bit off/like a blended jitter to it.
I have tried some DSOAL files I have found specifically for Baldur's Gate online, it enabled EAX, but seems to just add reverb and nothing else.

Has anyone got a solution that I can try, and get good old EAX back, the way it's supposed to sound? Worese case I'll just bring back my old system, but trying to keep it cool in the office!

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 2 of 2, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, ultimately it did work. I followed all the instructions on the link, made the additional reg keys as instructed so it would find dsound.dll, launched the game, but environmental audio was still greyed out.

I had an idea and added the game via Alchemy, as previously this would allow you to enable environmental audio via the button in options, it just didn't actually enable EAX, but in conjunction with the dsound.dll, I was able to enable environmental audio and it actually works properly. Tested in the Naskell Mines, get the correct echo, different sounds when walking on different surfaces, compared to EAX being off, saw a massive difference, not just reverb.

Thank you for the link.

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor