VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to run Windows ME on an ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. So far with rloew's patches I'm able to install it without encountering any major issue. Haven't installed any other driver yet, but the system in its current state is stable and fast.

However, I'm hitting a wall on getting its onboard IDE port, which is powered by Marvell 88SE6121, usable on Win9x. I don't really have any IDE hard drives -- the port was exclusively used by an IDE DVD-RW drive as only IDE optical drives have the CD audio connector that I need to connect between the drive and sound card. All my SSDs are connected via SATA, which works fine after necessary patching.

Due to the nature of the IDE port, most DOS CD TSRs can't see the IDE optical drive and would refuse to load, including OAKCDROM from Win9x CD's boot image (as such I had to copy the WinME install files from the install CD to the hard disk with the help of a Linux distro), despite I could boot from the optical drive. But from what I could remember, FreeDOS appears to be able to see it via one of the drivers it has... I was able to install at least FreeDOS T2303 and its bonus CD just fine, without any external assistance (should apply to other test builds also).

The disk controller doesn't appear to have any driver meant for earlier OSes such as 9x. Only drivers for XP and later are available... I wonder if there are ways to get these external controllers working somehow...

Reply 1 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Adapt a ide cd drive to sata,

But win me doesn’t like sata cd drives…. But maybe patched ME does?

Hmmm. That mobo is pci and pci express, a pci ide controller may be your next attempt

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 5, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-07, 04:27:

Adapt a ide cd drive to sata,

But win me doesn’t like sata cd drives…. But maybe patched ME does?

Hmmm. That mobo is pci and pci express, a pci ide controller may be your next attempt

Hmmm... PTCHSATA only addresses issues related to on-chipset SATA ports. It doesn't support off-chipset controllers as these usually need their own drivers.

Since FreeDOS has TSRs that can see the optical drive, maybe I could do some experiments with it, though it'll probably end up forcing MS-DOS compatibility mode globally, not just the drive.

(PS: Windows ME can enter real-mode DOS and use CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT, by using the "unrestricted" IO.SYS and other files from ltools.dta.)

Reply 3 of 5, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the end I connected my IDE optical drive to a native SATA port using an IDE-SATA adapter so it can be used out-of-box. It seems to be the only viable way to connect it.

The PATA port is only a part of 88SE6121's function on that motherboard. The two off-chipset "DriveXpert" SATA ports on the motherboard are also powered by 88SE6121, despite ASUS' documentation stating these ports are being driven by SIL5723. When I connected a drive to those ports, it showed up on 88SE6121's option ROM screen and behaved the same way as the PATA port. I'm disabling the option ROM for 88SE6121 as the drive I'm connecting to it is to be used as a data drive that will only be accessed by OSes that have drivers for it.

Reply 4 of 5, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried rloew's TBPLUS package?

https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/TBPLUS/3.0/PATCH/

It has both a windows and DOS component to it, and the DOS portion might help for your case?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 5 of 5, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Duffman wrote on 2023-07-22, 17:16:

Have you tried rloew's TBPLUS package?

https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/TBPLUS/3.0/PATCH/

It has both a windows and DOS component to it, and the DOS portion might help for your case?

Interesting. Looks like TBPLUS has more stuffs than I thought. However it seems to be more about Win98SE. Only the DISKTSD file is the WinME version, according to the manual.

But in the end, if you want out-of-box legacy functionality you're limited to the ports directly provided by the chipset. It's very trivial to adapt an PATA drive (be it hard disk or optical) to SATA nowadays so an actual, off-chipset PATA connector is not going to be as useful as it was back then. A good quality adapter is all you need.

EDIT: And I uncovered another problem -- Old DOS CD drivers assume only four disk controller ports. I placed my CD on the 6th SATA port and the drivers failed to detect it. Using UDVD2 from FreeDOS, however, works. In any case, with the disk driver properly patched for SATA support using rloew's patch, the CD drive on the 6th SATA port works out-of-box.