Rank Newbie
Rank

* pentium 4 2.0 ghz
* 512mb DDR RAM
* geforce ti4200 128 mb ddr
* soundmax integrated audio
* winxp sp2
* dungeon keeper 2 1.7

hi guys, i was playing dungeon keeper 2 then after updating xp to sp2, it suddenly wont run, when i click the icon, the 'busy' pointer animates. then stops. and nothing happens. so i reinstalled, still no luck, done some googling, says i need to update to 1.7. so i did. same thing. tried the windows compatibility toolkit suggestion (28 MB on a 56k, hell i tell you) and still, it does not work. tried the compatibility options in the shortcut properties. tried setting desktop color to 16bit. no luck on all. well, ive run out of google search results. now what?
😒

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not SP2 since I'm running DK2 with SP2 over here. The 1.7 update causes crashes in some cases (like mine) so sometimes you'll have to use the nonupdated ver.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling DK2?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by NghtShdw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, i have, quite several times now, but still, when i click it, the busy pointer animates then , nothing happens. again. i also tried to make a clean uninstall. i hope what im doing is right : i uninstalled in add remove programs, used regedit to delete any entry with 'dungeon keeper' in it and reinstalled. right?

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah I didn't think reinstalling would do much but it was worth a shot.

Have you tried a NOCD crack? Try (site that rhymes with blame floppy hurled)

I would suggest trying the different command line options but you can't even get the game loaded so I doubt anything there would be usefull.

Reply 4 of 5, by Lazarus Plus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to gravedig, but I saw this topic and thought it was worth asking: If you already have a version of DKII that starts as 1.7 and that is what is causing the problem, then are you just plain screwed or is there anything to do? (Unintenional run-on sentences: OK)

Thanks.

Reply 5 of 5, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 i have this problem aswell... its very annoying as im sure i can now up the graphics to the extreme in this game... the install freezes the pc till i ctrl-alt-delete and close it...

i noticed the cd continues to spin... so i ran it from a virtual drive and the exact same thing happens... i have also tried the v1.7 patch.

take note... the disc is not screwed due to it works under win9x.

some games i own such as baldur's gate 2 etc. required me to install from the hardisk drive via a simple copy and paste of all the cd's in windows explorer... then install from there... the reason? because i get these weird cd read errors on xp... one of the discs i had to copy to hdd on my other pc and copy it over the network...

i did eventualy get baldurs gate 2 to work... but found it screwed when set to 1600x1200 resoloution... and gave up on the game.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website