VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

how read big disks drive?
i tried, without sucess, installing the 'ESDI_506.PDR' file.. but i get an access error\denie.
how can i fix these?
my objective is read a 500Gb's external hard drive NTFS.... using a NTFS pen with 16GB's is readed normaly. but not the 500GB's external disk

Reply 1 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you say it's external, it's presumably not IDE and ESDI_506.PDR wouldn't be involved anyway. Is it USB? SCSI? Perhaps your third-party NTFS driver, or your USB Storage driver, doesn't support drives that large. There were multiple revisions of NTFS and perhaps your NTFS driver only supports one as of NT4 or such.

Reply 3 of 7, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for all.. but i will wait for get more info.
why installing the 'ESDI_506.PDR' file, but i get an access denie? is the 'ESDI_506.PDR' file attributes or something?(i did it on MS-DOS and not on windows)

Reply 4 of 7, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As your computer boots press and hold the F8 key. At the menu select command prompt only. Then copy ESDI_506.PDR to WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS

I have used the modified Winme version of ESDI_506.PDR (v1.0 dated 2006-07-21) by LittyX/Lixaanli.
It worked with a single partitioned 2TB drive I used as a simple test, filled the drive to 1.92TB and checked hashes.
BTW if you do the above mod and have a bios that is not 48-bit LBA you will get data corruption above 137 GB

As for external USB attached drives, Win98se/ME support 2TB without any patches.

Reply 7 of 7, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use rloew's TBPLUS package if you want to do this sort of thing.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)