Common searches

Dethkarz GOG

Topic actions

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happened upon an article on this game in CGW and decided to buy it thru GOG. Interesting game and works no problem in win10
but as I enjoy inflicting pain on myself decided to copy the install over to my XP & win98 systems. Sometimes this works and
sometimes it doesn't and this is the latter of course. In Xp it just loops the intro screen and in win98 it's a buffet of dll errors.

Anyone out there have any better luck? Looked into ebay for a hard copy but prices are "crazy train" of course. It's a good looking
game for it's time, gameplay seems to be different than most of the racing games out there. What do you all make of it?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 1, by davidmorom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game, as many others from that era, uses CD-DA for music, so GOG includes a WINMM.DLL wrapper for playing music from hard drive. This wrappers are too recent to work on Win9x, and even XP, so they show a lot of DLL or runtime link errors.

Sometimes they also include DirectDraw/Direct3D wrappers to fix graphics problems.

You have to locate and delete all these wrappers for the game to work on old versions of Windows. Sometimes they rename these DLLs to whatever name they want, so hexediting of the game EXE could be necessary too.

As you already paid for the GOG version, I dont see any pain in downloading a clean BIN/CUE image from "wherever", and installing the game from there.

Good luck.